Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stationary satellite in high latitude

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

Is that possible that a stationary satellite be fixed to a location far from equator?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No ....

4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    ... stationary with respect to what? If you mean with respect to earth ... the only option would be one of the Lagrangian Points (L4 or L5) in the Sun-Earth system. There are also L4 and L5 points in the Earth-Moon system but they are not very stable due to gravitational influence of the sun.

... in a theory, considering only earth and your satellite, you would basically have to place it at a point where the Earth would exert NO gravitational pull (the satellite would have zero potential energy). Since F = G m1m2 / d^2 there is no point (apart from the center of the Earth) where F = 0, hence your satellite would impact the Earth eventually, no matter how far it was originally placed.

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the poster means fixed over a point on Earth - as in geostationary.
    This is only possible over the equator

I thought the poster might come back for a fuller explanation than just "no...." !

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  6. Apr 14, 2009 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If it is not very far from the equator necessary corrections are so small, that it can be doable. As far as I remember - before the advent of digital communication - additional satelites on almost geostationary orbits were considered a viable solution to the lack of the bandwidth problem. Amount of fuel necessary for constant orbit corrections was small enough that satellite could operate for years.

7. Apr 14, 2009 #6
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just meant geostationary satellites, not something orbiting the sun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook