Statistical analysis on the end point of a small volume of titration

In summary, the conversation discusses performing a Mohr's titration with a small volume and determining the proper way to do statistical analysis on the results. The method involves adding 1 uL of indicator to 2 uL of analyte, followed by adding AgNO3 (0.014M) until the endpoint is reached. The representative data shows a standard titration with an SEM of 0 and an uncertainty of 1 uL, while the analyte has an SEM of 1.8 which is larger than the uncertainty of 1 uL. There is a paper on the statistical analysis of titration data, but it is not accessible without a subscription. The final goal is to estimate the mean Cl concentration and its variance
tabasko
Hello PF,

I'm doing a Mohr's titration to determine Cl concentration.

The volume I am working with is small, and it is not possible to obtain more. I have 2 uL of analyte to which I add 1 uL of indicator. Then, I add AgNO3 1 uL (0.014M) at a time until the endpoint is reached (color change).

What is the proper way to do statistical analysis on the results?

Representative Data:
Standard 0.15M (Volume of titrant added, uL) : 22, 22, 22
Analyte : 28, 34, 32

For example, for the standard titration, the SEM would be 0 but there is always an uncertainty of 1 uL because the real endpoint is anywhere between 21 uL and 22 uL. For the analyte, the SEM is 1.8 which is larger than the uncertainty of 1 uL.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you made any progress on this? There is a paper written about the statistical analysis of titration data, but nowhere I can access it without subscribing to something.

You didn't say what results you expect from a statistical analysis. Is the final goal to estimate the mean CL concentration and its variance?

1. What is statistical analysis?

Statistical analysis is a method used to analyze and interpret data in order to make informed decisions or draw conclusions. It involves collecting, organizing, and summarizing data using various statistical techniques such as mean, median, mode, and standard deviation.

2. Why is statistical analysis important in titration?

In titration, statistical analysis helps to ensure the accuracy and precision of the results obtained. It allows for the identification of any outliers or errors in the data, and helps to determine the reliability of the end point of the titration.

3. How is the end point of a titration determined?

The end point of a titration is determined by using an indicator, which is a substance that undergoes a color change at the equivalence point of the titration. The indicator is added to the titrant or the solution being titrated, and the color change indicates the end point.

4. What is a small volume titration and why is it important to analyze the end point?

A small volume titration is a type of titration where a small volume of titrant is added to the solution being titrated. It is important to analyze the end point in small volume titrations because even a small error in determining the end point can greatly affect the accuracy of the results.

5. What are some common statistical tests used in the analysis of the end point of a small volume titration?

Some common statistical tests used in the analysis of the end point of a small volume titration include t-tests, ANOVA, and regression analysis. These tests can help to determine the significance of any differences between multiple titration results and identify any trends in the data.