Statistical Mechanics question: calculate energy difference

In summary, in a system of N weakly interacting particles with M energy states, at T=300K there are 3 times as many particles in E_2 as in E_1. The difference between E_2 and E_1 can be calculated using the ratio of probabilities, which is 3, and the partition function. When considering N particles, the number of particles in each state can vary and should be taken into account.
trelek2

Homework Statement

In a system of N weakly interacting particles each particle can be in one of M energy states:
E_1 < E_2 < ... < E_M
At T=300K there are 3 times as many particles in E_2 as in E_1.
Calculate E_2 - E_1

Homework Equations

This is not my homework, just a tutorial question, I'm revising and I'm not sure if I'm understanding this stuff. Let me know if this is correct and if not please tell me how it should be done.

The Attempt at a Solution

I consider only particles of Energies E_1 and E_2.

Probability of particle in state E_1=
[tex]P(E_{1})=Z^{-1}exp(- \frac{E_{1}}{kT})=0.25 [/tex]

Probability of particle in state E_2=
[tex]P(E_{2})=Z^{-1}exp(- \frac{E_{2}}{kT})=0.75 [/tex]

[tex]Z=exp(- \frac{E_{1}+E_{2}}{kT}) [/tex]
Hence:
[tex]E_{1}-E_{2}=kT(ln(1/3))[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know the true probabilities are 0.25 and 0.75 without knowing the partition function. The particle also has a probability of being in a higher state.

The only thing you know is the ratio of the probabilities:

[tex]\frac{P(E_2)}{P(E_1)} = exp(-\frac{E_2-E_1}{kT}) = 3[/tex]

Which would make E_2 < E_1 for the single particle (opposite of what you said initially).

Edit: Dealing with N particles can be tricky since you have a lot of combinations. You can have 1 particle in E_1, 3 particles in E_2, and the N-4 particles can occupy any of the higher states. So you might want to limit yourself to a single particle, or a set number of particles.

Last edited:

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain and predict the behavior of large systems made up of many smaller particles.

2. How is energy difference calculated in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, the energy difference between two states is calculated using the Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the probability of each state occurring.

3. What factors affect the energy difference in statistical mechanics?

The energy difference in statistical mechanics is affected by factors such as temperature, number of particles, and the potential energy function of the system.

4. Can statistical mechanics be applied to all systems?

Statistical mechanics can be applied to a wide range of systems, including gases, liquids, solids, and even systems at the atomic and molecular level.

5. How is statistical mechanics related to thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics provides a microscopic understanding of the macroscopic behavior of systems, which is the focus of thermodynamics. The two fields are closely related and often used together to analyze and predict the properties of physical systems.