1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical Relationship Between Helmoltz Free Energy and Entropy

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From Hill's "Introduction to Statistical Thermodynamics", question 3-4 reads:

(note "STR" denotes the case of most probable distribution and should be read as C*)

2. Relevant equations
    The most probable distribution for a system of independent indistinguishable molecules:
    [itex]\eta_i = \bar{C_j} /N =C^{str}/N = e^{-\beta \epsilon_j} / \sum_i e^{-\beta \epsilon_i}[/itex]

Formula for accessible quantum states for an ensemble of independent indistinguishable molecules:
    [itex]\Omega(C) = N! /( \prod_j C_j) ![/itex]

Relationship between S and A
    S = [itex]- (\partial A / \partial E) = kT ( \partial ln(Q) / \partial T )+ k ln(Q) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I computed C in terms of the given equations. This is pretty straight forward:

[itex] C^{str}_j = Ne^{-\beta \epsilon_j} /{ \sum_i e^{-\beta \epsilon} }[/itex]

Then, I computed the number of accessible quantum states with the above expression for C
    [itex] \Omega (C^{str}) = { N! }/{\prod C^{str} } [/itex]

Skipping a lot of algebra I arrived as this expression for ln(Ω(C)):
    [itex] ln(C^{str}) = ln(N!)- \sum(ln(e^{-\beta \epsilon}) )- ln(\sum(e^{-\beta \epsilon}) [/itex]

Which can be reduced to:
    [itex]ln(C^{str}) = ln(N!) + \sum(\beta \epsilon) - ln(Q) = ln(N!) + E \beta -ln(Q)[/itex]

I am not sure exactly where I went wrong, as the formula I derived is very similar to the relationship between A and S. I think an approximation may have to be applied somewhere or perhaps the natural logs should not have been broken down into their operations. I am not sure, hence why I am posting here!

Thanks for the help.

PS, if needed I can post a small nomenclature of the variables.

EDIT:
    Just realized I did not take into account the N factor in the equation for C, I believe this makes N! become (N-1)! in the following equations. Also, I did not show the additional formula if one were to expand [itex] \partial ln(Q) / \partial T[/itex]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2
    Bad question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook