Statistics expectation problem involving circle.

In summary, the circle has a radius of r and the density of θ is 1/2π. X is a function of θ and the density of θ is 1/2π. E(X) is integral over θ from 0 to 2π.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

A circle of radius r is as shown in the attached diagram. I am asked to first express X as a function of θ, then to compute E(X). It is also stated that θ obeys U[0,2π].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Through simple trigonometry I have found X = 2rsin(θ/2). As θ distributes evenly, I know that the density of θ should be 1/2π. What is the density of x then? Am I supposed to simply substitute 2arcsin(x/2r)? Or should it be approached by first computing E(θ) and trying to hence infer E(X)?
I'd appreciate an advice.

Attachments

• Circle.jpg
    Circle.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
hi peripatein! :smile:

look at the definition

if X(θ) is a function of θ, and if the distribution of θ is f(θ),

then what is the definition of E(X) ? :wink:

The definition of E(X) is integral [would the boundaries be 1 to 2r?] x*f(x) dx, where f(x) is the probability density of X. Is this correct?

peripatein said:
The definition of E(X) is integral [would the boundaries be 1 to 2r?] x*f(x) dx, where f(x) is the probability density of X. Is this correct?

yees, but it's f(θ) that you know, not f(x) …

so what is E(X) expressed as an integral over θ ? :smile:

E(X) = ∫(2rsin(θ/2)/2π)(rcos(θ/2))dθ from 0 to 2π?

no

stick to the definition for the moment …

what is the definition of E(X) if X = X(θ), and the distribution of θ is f(θ) ?

I am not sure, tiny-tim :-(.
Should I look for the inverse function of X(θ)?
I mean, the definition reads E[g(X)] = integral (from -inf. to +inf.) g(x)f(x)dx. I understand that as E[θ(X)] = θ(X)*f(x)dx. I am probably mistaken, yet I am not sure how to approach it.
Here's another attempt, which makes not much sense to me but for the sake of trying: might it be E(X) = int X(θ)*f(θ)dθ?

peripatein said:
IHere's another attempt, which makes not much sense to me but for the sake of trying: might it be E(X) = int X(θ)*f(θ)dθ?

yes, that's correct …

E(X) = ∫ X(θ) f(θ) dθ

… this is exactly the same as the definition you mentioned earlier, ∫ x f(x) dx, but using the distribution of θ rather than the distribution of x (remember, the two f's are different!) :smile:

so in this case, E(X) = ∫ 2rsin(θ/2) f(θ) dθ,

which is … ? :wink:

4r/pi?
How may I now determine whether X obeys an even distribution U?

show how you got it :confused:

Well, shouldn't it be E(X) = ∫ 2rsin(θ/2) f(θ) dθ = ∫ (r/pi)sin(θ/2) dθ between 0 and 2pi?

peripatein said:
Well, shouldn't it be E(X) = ∫ 2rsin(θ/2) f(θ) dθ = ∫ (r/pi)sin(θ/2) dθ between 0 and 2pi?

correct :smile:

it obviously doesn't

θ is evenly distributed, so sinθ/2 isn't

(why are you asking? doesn't the question only ask for E(X) ? :confused:)

Now, the second part of that question, which is not related to the first, asks for a proof that
∫ (from 0 to ∞) xne-x dx = n! for every n > 0, and the hint is to find a recursive argument for In and an initial condition.
I have found In = (In + 1 + xne-x + nxn-1e-x) / (n(n-1)), where x changes from 0 to ∞, but am not sure how to proceed. Could you advise?

peripatein said:
Now, the second part of that question, which is not related to the first, asks for a proof that
∫ (from 0 to ∞) xne-x dx = n! for every n > 0, and the hint is to find a recursive argument for In and an initial condition.
I have found In = (In + 1 + xne-x + nxn-1e-x) / (n(n-1)), where x changes from 0 to ∞, but am not sure how to proceed. Could you advise?

(how did you get that ?? :confused:)

anyway, you shouldn't have any x's in the equation

x is a dummy variable, the only "real" variable is n​

Well, integration by parts, twice. Setting the original integral to be In, I let u = xn and dv be e-x. In the second integration by parts I let u = xn-1 and dv = e-x.
Does that make more sense now? Is that how it is to be handled? The boundaries should be between 0 and infinity, but I don't know how to incorporate that into the expression (I mean, what do you get for (xne-x + nxn-1e-x) between 0 and inf.? How do you evaluate that?

peripatein said:
Well, integration by parts, twice.

why not just once? :confused:
The boundaries should be between 0 and infinity, but I don't know how to incorporate that into the expression (I mean, what do you get for (xne-x + nxn-1e-x) between 0 and inf.? How do you evaluate that?

i] what is xne-x when x = 0 ?

ii] what is (the limit of) xne-x when x = ∞ ?

You're right, silly me! A single integration by parts led me to the right answer: In+1 = (n+1)In.
Now, suppose I define f(x) = (xne-x)/n!. I have found E(X) = n + 1 and V(X) = 0.
Would you please confirm that?

peripatein said:
Now, suppose I define f(x) = (xne-x)/n!. I have found E(X) = n + 1

yes that looks correct :smile:
and V(X) = 0.

what is V(X) ? :confused:

Variance (=E(x^2) - (E(x))^2)
Is it not zero in this case?

no :confused:

how did you get E(x2) ?

My bad, I made a mistake along the way. How's the following:
E(X2) = ∫ (from zero to infinity) (x2xne-x)/n!dx, right? And that is In+2/n!, which is in turn (n+2)(n+1), is it not? Now, (n+2)(n+1) - (n+1)2 = n+1 = Var(X). Is it correct now?

yes! :rofl:

you see now how important it is to write everything out carefully? :wink:

Yes, tiny-tim, thank you very much! :-)

What is the "Statistics expectation problem involving circle"?

The "Statistics expectation problem involving circle" is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the expected value of a random variable that is distributed uniformly on a circle. This problem is commonly encountered in statistics and probability theory.

What is the formula for calculating the expected value in this problem?

The formula for calculating the expected value in this problem is: E(X) = (1/2π) ∫0 xf(x)dx, where f(x) is the probability density function of the random variable X.

How is the expected value related to the radius of the circle?

The expected value is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius of the circle increases, the expected value also increases.

What is the significance of the expected value in this problem?

The expected value in this problem represents the average value that we would expect to obtain if we were to repeat the experiment many times. It is a useful measure for describing the center of the distribution of the random variable.

Are there any real-life applications of this problem?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of this problem, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to calculate the expected distance between two randomly placed points on a circle or to estimate the average time it takes for a particle to move from one point to another on a circular path.