1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics/Probability: Joint Densities

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    Ok Whats the general way to solve problems such as these?
    -Let X and Y have the joint pdf f_X,Y(x,y) = 2e^-(x+y) , 0 < x < y, 0 < y
    Find P(Y < 3X).
    -Find P(X < 2Y) if f_X,Y(x,y) = x + y for X and Y defined over the unit interval (meaning from 0 to 1).
    I know you have to set up the double integral, like for the first one the answer is:
    but P(Y < 3X) => P(x > 1/3Y) so why cant you take the integral from 1/3Y to Y wrt X (because x has to be smaller than y) and the integral from 0 to infinity with respect to y (because y has to be greater than 0)?
    Note:I am currently taking a multivariable calculus course and I havent gotten to multi-integration yet, so i would just like to know the general method for determining the boundaries of integration.
    I also have other questions (about Transforming random variables) but ill save those for later, I would like to understand this first.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can. And you would get the same answer.

In the xy-plane, 0< x< y, 0< y is infinite triangle between the y-axis and the line y= x. In order to be a probability density over that region, the integral of 2e^-(x+y) over that region must be 1.
    In subset of that region such that y< 3x is the infinite triangle between the lines y= 3x and y= x. P(Y< 3X) is the integeral of 2e^-(x+y) over that region.
    There are always two ways of setting up a double integral over a region like that. We can take the outer integral in y taking y going from 0 to infinity. For each such y, a horizontal line in that region must go from y= 3x to y=x which is equivalent to x ranging from y/3 up to y. The probability is
    [tex]2\int_{y= 0}^\infty\int_{x= y/3}^y e^{-(x+y)}dxdy[/tex]

But you could also take the outer integral to be in terms of x, with x running form 0 to infinity. In that case, for each x, a vertical line covering the region would have y running from x to 3x. The probability is
    [tex]2\int_{x=0}^\infty\int_{y= x}^{3x} e^{-(x+y)}dydx[/tex]
  4. Dec 5, 2005 #3
    Thanks, that really helped me visualize what's going on. But what about about the second problem, find P(X < 2y)... either my computations are wrong or integral from 0 to 1 wrt y and integral from 0 to 2y wrt x (with the pdf in between) is wrong. (Gives me a probability of 4/3). and Why?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?