1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics with confidence intervals

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose the porosity (in %) of samples taken from the ground found to be normally distributed with σ = 0.85 %

What sample size is necessary to estimate the true mean porosity to within 0.25
    with 99% confidence?

2. Relevant equations

C.I. = confidence interval = mean +- z*σ*n^(-0.5)
    n = (2*z*σ/w)^2
    interval width = w
    z = 2.575

3. The attempt at a solution

Not really sure what is meant by "... to within 0.25" maybe someone can help clarify this? Is it referring to the confidence interval width? Also, I thought that the confidence intervals do not estimate the true mean. I thought C.I. only estimates whether or not the other samples will have the same mean within the C.I. range.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Usually "to within xxx" refers to the desired margin of error - this would not be the length of the confidence interval, but half the length.

A confidence interval provides a range of values which can be considered "reasonable values" for the true mean (that is highly non-mathematical language, but I think it gets the point across)

4. Jun 17, 2009 #3
    thanks for clarifying the problem statdad.

5. Jun 17, 2009 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

0.25 is the interval width ("w"), which is the same as error margin. This can be interpreted as ±0.25. Since it was not stated as ±0.25 but as 0.25, they probably meant ±0.125.

The 99% C.I. implies a 0.5% probability under either tail, as statdad suggested. You should verify that your z value is consistent with that probability.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook