Stellar Classification Limits: Temperature & Magnitude

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using mathematical equations to determine the classification of a star based on its temperature and absolute magnitude, but there seems to be a lack of consensus on the specific boundaries for each classification category. It is noted that stellar classification may be subjective, but there may also be objective boundaries that determine a star's spectral type, luminosity class, and Yerkes class.
ckirmser
Is there a specific limit that defines the boundaries of each classification category?

For example, a main sequence G class star is between X and Y temperatures and has an absolute magnitude between A and B Solar units.

Or, an O hypergiant is between X and Y temperatures and has an absolute magnitude between A and B Solar units.

Along those lines. Essentially, something mathematical that can be used to plug in the characteristics of a star and will produce the classification.

So, if I have a star that has a temperature of 5699K and a Mabs of 0.9M, it pops out with a G2IV (the "2" is just a guess from eyeballing an HR chart).

Or, are the classifications not that explicit?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In terms of temperature and luminosity that's what the HR diagrams shows, the star's classifications.

Well, yes, but the various charts I've found are not in total agreement on the boundaries.

I've found several tables listing numeric limits for, say, a 'K'-class star, but there is a substantial variance in the listed or pictured properties.

For example, one table I have says a 'K'-class star has a temperature range of 3.5 kK to 5 kK, whereas another has just 5.3 kK, not even an average, but totally outside the bounds listed in the other table.

It looks like stellar classification is a very subjective matter and I'm trying to determine if I am wrong and that there is a set definition that determines a star's spectral type, its luminosity class and its Yerkes class.

If it is truly all subjective, then I can go with that, but I would expect that there are set, objective boundaries.

What is stellar classification?

Stellar classification is a system used by scientists to categorize stars based on their physical characteristics, such as temperature, luminosity, and spectral type.

What are the two main factors used to classify stars?

The two main factors used to classify stars are temperature and magnitude. Temperature is determined by the color of a star, while magnitude is a measure of its brightness.

What are the temperature limits for each stellar classification?

There are seven main stellar classifications, from hottest to coolest: O, B, A, F, G, K, and M. The temperature limits for each classification are as follows: O (30,000-50,000K), B (10,000-30,000K), A (7,500-10,000K), F (6,000-7,500K), G (5,000-6,000K), K (3,500-5,000K), and M (less than 3,500K).

How does stellar magnitude affect a star's classification?

Magnitude is a measure of a star's brightness as seen from Earth. The lower the magnitude, the brighter the star appears. Magnitude is a logarithmic scale, so a difference of one magnitude is equivalent to a difference in brightness by a factor of 2.5. This means that a star with a magnitude of 1 is 2.5 times brighter than a star with a magnitude of 2.

Why is it important to classify stars?

Classifying stars helps scientists better understand the properties and behaviors of different types of stars. This information can then be used to make predictions about the life cycle of stars, their evolution, and their impact on the universe.