Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stephen Wolfram: Computing a theory of everything TED Video April 2010

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1

rhody

Gold Member

Thought you might like this...

This http://www.ted.com/talks/stephen_wo..._campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email" by Stephen Wolfram is about 20 minutes long, but the most interesting parts are from 14:10 or so to about 17:30.

Summary:

14:10 Somewhere out in the computational Universe we might find our physical Universe.​
    14:50 Universe behaves like some kind of Network.​
    15:10 He shows to the public (for the first time, a graphic representing candidate Universes) based on his models.
    15:45 States that the Universe is: full of computational irreducibility.
    16:00 Claims he has produced candidate Universes that produce the standard models representation of gravity, special relativity, general relativity, and hints of quantum mechanics (does not mention QED or QCD Theory) however.​

16:45 Issues a challenge that by the end of the decade he believes a correct Theory of the Universe can be achieved.​

17:20 Computation is destined to be the defining idea of our future.​

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

rhody

Gold Member

I had some time to digest what he said last evening. If these statements were made by anyone except Stephen Wolfram, I would have dismissed them as being outright crackpottery. That being said, it seems he is a devotee of the "emergent thinking" train of thought that has become popular in the last five years of so with a small but seemingly growing number of physicists.

Does anyone have anything to say about coming up with a compete Theory of the Universe in the next decade ? Thats a pretty bold audacious statement. I should qualify that, one that agrees with the Standard Model and all of the tests that make it what we believe true to date.

Note: I edited my summary above, 16:00 for theories his models does not address.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook