Stewart platform and closed loops

In summary, my colleague insists that just knowing the lengths of the six struts is sufficient to solve the kinematics of the Stewart platform.
Trying2Learn
TL;DR Summary
How to compute the orientation
Hello!

(I am not asking for someone to do this for me. I am only asking a qualitative question.)

Suppose one knows the lengths of all six links that are involved in the Stewart platform.

Is that enough to define the position and orientation of the top (assuming the base is fixed)

I would take the route of creating six closed loop equations for each of the six struts and using Newton-Raphson (or similar) to
compute pitch, yaw, roll, heave, sway, surge of the top.

However, a colleague is arguing with me that just knowing the lengths of the six arms should be enough.

Picture attached

Attachments

• An-example-of-six-DOF-Stewart-platform-DOF-degree-of-freedom.png
    An-example-of-six-DOF-Stewart-platform-DOF-degree-of-freedom.png
    6 KB · Views: 70
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried searching for how to solve the Steward platform kinematics?

Filip Larsen said:
No, but that is because I know how I would do it: write six closed loop equations.

I am more interested in why my colleague insists that just knowing the lengths, is sufficient.
(Actually I did do a search, but most is about the dynamics of it, and I am not focused on that.)

I really want to understand if just knowing the lengths (and some fundamental geometry) is sufficient.
For I would solve the non linear closed loop equations using Newton Raphson (or something like that).

In other words: assume a pitch yaw roll heave sway surge of the top plate. Then, travel from the bottom center, up to the midpoint ( unknowns for position), and then out and back down (involving the pitch, yaw and roll). Get the six non-linear equations and solve.

My colleauge insists that is too complicated and that simple geometry and the six lengths are enough. I don't think so.

Filip Larsen said:
In other words...

If i take off the top plate and remove the six struts, I have six struts of known length.

Now I have to reassemble the platform, but all I have are six legs of specific length -- and I do not think I can reassemble it: he insists it is possible. I think there is too much uncertainty about the orientation of the legs.

I think that that it is NOT geometrically simple (like my colleagues says) and does require a non-linear analysis.

To me it still sounds like you are asking if the (forward) kinematic problem can be solved in closed form, a question which I believed can be answered by searching for how to solve that problem. That the problem is described as a problem in kinematic does not mean it is only relevant for when the platform is moving.

Alternatively you can perhaps enter into a dialog with your colleagues to settle the details. In any case it is hard for us to guess what you or your colleagues mean during some discussion you had.

1. What is a Stewart platform?

A Stewart platform is a type of parallel manipulator that consists of six linear actuators connected to a base and a platform. It is commonly used in robotics and motion simulators for its ability to provide precise and controlled movement in multiple directions.

2. How does a Stewart platform work?

A Stewart platform works by using the linear actuators to control the position and orientation of the platform in six degrees of freedom. By changing the length of the actuators, the platform can be moved in any direction and rotated around any axis.

3. What is the purpose of using a closed loop in a Stewart platform?

A closed loop in a Stewart platform refers to the use of sensors and feedback control to ensure the platform is moving accurately and precisely. This is important for applications that require high levels of precision, such as in surgical robotics or flight simulators.

4. What are the advantages of using a Stewart platform?

The advantages of using a Stewart platform include high precision and accuracy, compact size, and the ability to handle heavy loads. It also has a wide range of applications in various industries, including aerospace, medicine, and entertainment.

5. What are some limitations of a Stewart platform?

Some limitations of a Stewart platform include the complexity of its design and control, as well as the high cost of implementation. It also has a limited range of motion compared to other types of manipulators, which may not be suitable for certain applications.