Still a good time to do research on combustions?

In summary, a student is considering specializing in computational combustion for graduate school, but is unsure about the future of fossil fuels and how it may affect engineers in this field. However, the history of combustion and the amount of infrastructure already in place suggest that the transition to cleaner energy sources may take a long time, and focusing on combustion will not limit opportunities in other industries.
pnptruong
Hi everyone,
I'm an undergrad student who is looking for different research interests to specialize into get ready for grad school. At my university, there's a well-known professor in the field of computational combustion, and he offered me a research position. I'm not sure if, considering the trend towards sustainable energy, combustion is still a good field to go into.
My bigger question is how long do you think our economy will stick with fossil fuels, and how does the current affect engineers working in fossil fuel based industries?

Physics news on Phys.org
combustion has been the basis of human life for the last 500,000 years - I wouldn't worry about the next 50!

There's so many trillions of dollars worth of infrastructure already in place around the world in combustion and fossil energy sources that any switch to cleaner energy sources will take a long time to make. Besides which, as new technologies overtake old ones the old technologies are usually improved greatly with the competition and will remain alive for some time - an example is that great improvements were made in sails and sailing technology just as engines began to come into play on ships. You don't have anything to worry about, besides the fact that focusing on combustion will not limit you in industry to only combustion.

1. What is the current state of research on combustions?

Currently, research on combustions is still an active and important area of study in the field of chemistry and physics. There are ongoing studies and advancements in understanding the fundamental mechanisms and applications of combustions.

2. How does research on combustions contribute to society?

Research on combustions plays a crucial role in developing cleaner and more efficient energy sources, as well as improving safety measures in industries that involve combustion processes. This research also helps us understand the impact of combustions on the environment and how to mitigate its negative effects.

3. What are some current challenges in research on combustions?

One of the main challenges in this field is understanding the complex chemical reactions that occur during combustions. Additionally, there is a need to develop new techniques and technologies to accurately measure and control these reactions.

4. What are some potential future developments in research on combustions?

Future research on combustions may focus on using alternative fuels and developing new combustion systems with lower emissions. There is also potential for advancements in computer simulations and modeling to better understand and predict combustion processes.

5. How can I get involved in research on combustions?

As a scientist, the best way to get involved in research on combustions is to pursue a degree in chemistry, physics, or a related field and join a research team or laboratory that focuses on this topic. You can also attend conferences and workshops related to combustions to stay updated on the latest developments in the field.