Want to be an engineer, but do research on the side?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interests in becoming an Aerospace Engineer and their love for chemistry, physics, and math. They mention their interest in multidisciplinary research and the potential for double majoring in Aerospace Engineering and Chemistry. They also question the necessity of specific credentials for conducting research and getting published. The response advises the individual to focus on their studies in engineering and explore different research areas before determining their specific contributions.
Humanlimits
So, I really want to be an Aerospace Engineer, but I also love chemistry, physics, math, and etcetera. Most of what I love tends to be application focused, rather than pure. Regarding chemistry, I really like synthetic physical organic stuff; especially geometrically strained compounds and materials chemistry. Regarding physics, I like fluid dynamics and relativity. Regarding math, I want to progress encryption significantly.

Historically there are some amazing self taught multidisciplinary scientists, i.e. da Vinchi, Ya.B Zel'dovich, and etcetera. I know for sure that if I can, I'll double major in Aerospace Engineering and Chemistry just because I love them so much.

But, if I want to do research on the side (in various fields), how necessary are credentials to be that specific?

I have many fields that I'm interested in and will learn anyway. If my work is good, would it be hard to get published without a specific degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers do plenty of research! Don't try to determine exactly where you want to make contributions now. Do your studies in engineering and then see what interests you. There are a lot of interesting research areas in engineering, many of them highly multidisciplinary, so focus on learning what field you choose and then take it from there.

Likes Timo, billy_joule, S.G. Janssens and 1 other person

1. What is the difference between an engineer and a scientist?

An engineer is a professional who uses scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and build solutions to real-world problems. They focus on practical applications and often work in industries such as manufacturing, construction, or technology. A scientist, on the other hand, is a researcher who conducts experiments and studies to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world. Their work is primarily focused on advancing scientific knowledge and may involve conducting theoretical or experimental research.

2. Can you be both an engineer and a scientist at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to be both an engineer and a scientist at the same time. Many engineers engage in scientific research as part of their job or as a side project. They may use their engineering skills to design experiments, collect and analyze data, and make conclusions based on their findings. However, it can be challenging to balance both roles and may require strong time management and organizational skills.

3. How can an engineer incorporate research into their career?

There are several ways for an engineer to incorporate research into their career. One option is to work in a research and development (R&D) department within a company. This allows engineers to work on innovative projects and contribute to the advancement of technology. Another option is to pursue a graduate degree in engineering or a related field, which often involves conducting research and publishing scientific papers. Engineers can also choose to do research on the side, either independently or by collaborating with other researchers.

4. What are the benefits of combining engineering and research?

Combining engineering and research can bring many benefits. For engineers, it allows them to stay updated on the latest advancements in their field and apply new knowledge and techniques to their work. It also provides opportunities for personal and professional growth, as well as networking with other researchers and experts. For the scientific community, having engineers involved in research can bring a practical and real-world perspective to projects, leading to more practical and applicable results.

5. Are there any challenges to being an engineer and a researcher simultaneously?

Yes, there can be challenges to balancing both roles. Engineers may struggle to find time for research while fulfilling their responsibilities as an engineer. Conducting research also requires a different set of skills and may involve a steep learning curve for some engineers. Additionally, funding for research projects may be limited, making it challenging to carry out large-scale studies. However, with proper time management and a strong passion for both engineering and research, these challenges can be overcome.