1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Want to be an engineer, but do research on the side?

1. Aug 19, 2016 #1
    So, I really want to be an Aerospace Engineer, but I also love chemistry, physics, math, and etcetera. Most of what I love tends to be application focused, rather than pure. Regarding chemistry, I really like synthetic physical organic stuff; especially geometrically strained compounds and materials chemistry. Regarding physics, I like fluid dynamics and relativity. Regarding math, I want to progress encryption significantly.

Historically there are some amazing self taught multidisciplinary scientists, i.e. da Vinchi, Ya.B Zel'dovich, and etcetera. I know for sure that if I can, I'll double major in Aerospace Engineering and Chemistry just because I love them so much.

But, if I want to do research on the side (in various fields), how necessary are credentials to be that specific?

I have many fields that I'm interested in and will learn anyway. If my work is good, would it be hard to get published without a specific degree?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2016 #2
    Engineers do plenty of research! Don't try to determine exactly where you want to make contributions now. Do your studies in engineering and then see what interests you. There are a lot of interesting research areas in engineering, many of them highly multidisciplinary, so focus on learning what field you choose and then take it from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted