Stimulated emission in harmonic oscillator

In summary: They happen when the energy difference between the levels is not large enough for the system to stay in a single state.
kelly0303
Hello! Is stimulated emission possible for a harmonic oscillator (HO) i.e. you send a quanta of light at the right energy, and you end up with 2 quantas and the HO one energy level lower (as you would have in a 2 level system, like an atom)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, of course. Cyclotron emission (from electrons spiralling in a magnetic field) is very much like that. Electrons jump from one Landau level to the next and emit photons of the cyclotron frequency with each step. And this can be self-amplifying due to stimulated emission. It is called electromagnetic cyclotron instability and is well known in plasma physics. It happens when the electron velocity distribution becomes unstable, i.e. there is a "population inversion" and in a region of velocity space faster electrons are more numerous than slow ones.

It is wrong to think of stimulated emission as a quantum effect. Already Einstein explained that it has a classical analog. An oscillating charge in an electromagnetic wave can gain energy or lose energy (giving it to the wave) depending on the phase relation between the oscillator and the wave.

Likes vanhees71
WernerQH said:
Yes, of course. Cyclotron emission (from electrons spiralling in a magnetic field) is very much like that. Electrons jump from one Landau level to the next and emit photons of the cyclotron frequency with each step. And this can be self-amplifying due to stimulated emission. It is called electromagnetic cyclotron instability and is well known in plasma physics. It happens when the electron velocity distribution becomes unstable, i.e. there is a "population inversion" and in a region of velocity space faster electrons are more numerous than slow ones.

It is wrong to think of stimulated emission as a quantum effect. Already Einstein explained that it has a classical analog. An oscillating charge in an electromagnetic wave can gain energy or lose energy (giving it to the wave) depending on the phase relation between the oscillator and the wave.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I got a bit confused as in my QM book, they presented HO as if when you add more quanta you go higher and higher in energy. But it seems like you will end up having Rabi oscillations between 2 levels (ignoring the lifetime of excited states). I haven't really seen any mention of Rabi oscillations in the context of the HO.

kelly0303 said:
Thanks a lot for your reply. I got a bit confused as in my QM book, they presented HO as if when you add more quanta you go higher and higher in energy. But it seems like you will end up having Rabi oscillations between 2 levels (ignoring the lifetime of excited states). I haven't really seen any mention of Rabi oscillations in the context of the HO.

I think there might be difference between theory and experiment here. A perfect HO where the levels are exactly equidistant won't exhibit Rabi oscillations since the system will just continue to climb up the "ladder" as it absorbs more photons. To get oscillations you need some form of anhamonicity so that the energy difference between the states differ.
Now, I don't know much about cyclotron physics; but I suspect the there is some anharmonicity between the different Landau levels; if not you could just keep "pumping" the system to higher and higher levels forever.

Note that the dynamics will also be different for a multi-level system where the lifetime of the levels differ

kelly0303 said:
in my QM book, they presented HO as if when you add more quanta you go higher and higher in energy. But it seems like you will end up having Rabi oscillations between 2 levels (ignoring the lifetime of excited states). I haven't really seen any mention of Rabi oscillations in the context of the HO.
It is correct that in a harmonic oscillator you can go up to higher and higher energies. Rabi oscillations are specific to two-level systems.

1. What is stimulated emission in a harmonic oscillator?

Stimulated emission in a harmonic oscillator is a process in which an excited atom or molecule releases energy in the form of a photon, causing another atom or molecule in its vicinity to also release a photon of the same energy and phase. This process is a key principle in the operation of lasers.

2. How does stimulated emission occur in a harmonic oscillator?

In a harmonic oscillator, such as an atom or molecule, electrons can exist in different energy levels. When an electron in an excited state drops to a lower energy level, it releases a photon of a specific energy. If another electron in the same excited state is nearby, it can be stimulated by the photon to also drop to a lower energy level and release a photon of the same energy and phase.

3. What is the difference between stimulated emission and spontaneous emission?

Spontaneous emission occurs when an electron in an excited state drops to a lower energy level and releases a photon without any external influence. Stimulated emission, on the other hand, occurs when an external photon stimulates the release of a photon from an excited electron in a similar energy state.

4. How is stimulated emission important in laser technology?

Stimulated emission is a key principle in the operation of lasers. By creating a population inversion, where more atoms or molecules are in an excited state than in a lower energy state, a laser can produce a coherent and intense beam of light through stimulated emission. This allows for precise and controlled light amplification and is essential for many technological applications.

5. What is the role of the harmonic oscillator in stimulated emission?

The harmonic oscillator, such as an atom or molecule, provides the energy levels necessary for stimulated emission to occur. Without the discrete energy levels of a harmonic oscillator, electrons would not be able to drop to a lower energy level and release a photon of a specific energy, making stimulated emission impossible.