1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stochastic processes: martingales

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to start I've found this:

Let X be the the winnings per bet and let the total profit be T then:
    [tex]T= \sum X_I [/tex]

But how must I proceed?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2
    Let [tex]Y_{n}[/tex] be the gambler's winnings after n games. Clearly, [tex]Y_{n}[/tex] is a martingale. We introduce a new stochastic process [tex]Z_{n}[/tex], where [tex]Z_{n}={Y_{n}}^2-n[/tex]. It can be shown that [tex]Z_{n}[/tex] is a martingale with respect to [tex]Y_{n}[/tex]. (Can you try to show this?)

Let N be the random variable for the step where the gambler's winnings first reach A or -B. Then, we have [tex]E(Z_{N})=E({Y_{N}}^2)-E(N)[/tex]. By applying the Martingale Stopping Theorem (first check the necessary conditions are satisfied), we can show [tex]E(Z_{N})=0[/tex].

This leaves us with [tex]E(N)=E({Y_{N}}^2)[/tex]. To determine [tex]E({Y_{N}}^2)[/tex], use the definition of expectation, and observe that [tex]Y_{N}[/tex] can only take the values A or -B. To calculate the relevant probabilities, apply some formulae related to stopping times of Markov Chains (with stationary transition probabilities). We are now able to compute [tex]E({Y_{N}}^2)[/tex], which will be equal to [tex]E(N)[/tex].
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?