1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stochastic Calculus - Limit Law

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1

danago

Gold Member

[PLAIN]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1061/stochcalcq4.png [Broken]

I am currently taking a class in quantitative finance, part of which includes an introduction to stochastic calculus. This is the first time i have encountered stochastic differential equations, so it is all quite new to me. I am going ok with most of it, however i got stuck on the question shown above. I did part a without any issues by showing that dx<0 whenever x is greater than the long term value, that dx>0 when it is less, and dx=0 when it is equal to the long term value.

I am stuck, however, on part b; i am just not sure how to approach it. I thought about actually trying to solve it for X(t), but made no progress with that. A push in the right direction would be much appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

danago

Gold Member

I have gone through my lecture notes again and I may have made some progress. Solving the forward time-homogenous Kolmogorov-Chapman equation gives an expression for the density function, whose integral on (0,∞) should be convergent. I have ended up with an integral of the form:

[tex]
    \int^{∞}_0 x^{\alpha} exp(-\frac{\beta}{x}) dx
    [/tex]

Where α and β are just combinations of the parameters in the question which i have grouped for simplicity. It has turned out that α<-2 does indeed lead to the required condition, σ2<2a. I am not sure however why α<-2 does imply the convergence of the integral (or is it just a coincidence that it gives me the criterion that i want?).

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3

danago

Gold Member

If i evaluate the integral in the previous post, i get:

[tex]
    \int^{∞}_0 x^{\alpha} exp(-\frac{\beta}{x}) dx = \beta^{\alpha+1}\Gamma(-\alpha-1)
    [/tex]

I am still not sure how to logically get the inequality that i want though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook