Stochastic Calculus - Limit Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in stochastic calculus where the goal is to prove a condition for a particular integral to be convergent. The individual is having difficulty with part b of the problem but has made some progress by solving the forward time-homogenous Kolmogorov-Chapman equation and obtaining an integral in the form of x^αe^(-β/x). It is noted that when α < -2, the required condition is met but the individual is unsure of the logical reasoning behind this.
danago
Gold Member
[PLAIN]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1061/stochcalcq4.png

I am currently taking a class in quantitative finance, part of which includes an introduction to stochastic calculus. This is the first time i have encountered stochastic differential equations, so it is all quite new to me. I am going ok with most of it, however i got stuck on the question shown above. I did part a without any issues by showing that dx<0 whenever x is greater than the long term value, that dx>0 when it is less, and dx=0 when it is equal to the long term value.

I am stuck, however, on part b; i am just not sure how to approach it. I thought about actually trying to solve it for X(t), but made no progress with that. A push in the right direction would be much appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have gone through my lecture notes again and I may have made some progress. Solving the forward time-homogenous Kolmogorov-Chapman equation gives an expression for the density function, whose integral on (0,∞) should be convergent. I have ended up with an integral of the form:

[tex]
\int^{∞}_0 x^{\alpha} exp(-\frac{\beta}{x}) dx
[/tex]

Where α and β are just combinations of the parameters in the question which i have grouped for simplicity. It has turned out that α<-2 does indeed lead to the required condition, σ2<2a. I am not sure however why α<-2 does imply the convergence of the integral (or is it just a coincidence that it gives me the criterion that i want?).

If i evaluate the integral in the previous post, i get:

[tex]
\int^{∞}_0 x^{\alpha} exp(-\frac{\beta}{x}) dx = \beta^{\alpha+1}\Gamma(-\alpha-1)
[/tex]

I am still not sure how to logically get the inequality that i want though.

1. What is Stochastic Calculus?

Stochastic Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the analysis of random processes. It involves the use of calculus techniques to understand and model random phenomena such as stock prices, weather patterns, and population growth.

2. What is the Limit Law in Stochastic Calculus?

The Limit Law in Stochastic Calculus is a fundamental theorem that states that the limit of a sequence of random variables follows the same rules as the limit of a sequence of real-valued functions. This law is important in understanding the behavior of stochastic processes and making predictions about their future values.

3. How is Stochastic Calculus used in finance?

Stochastic Calculus is widely used in finance to model and analyze the behavior of financial markets and instruments. It is particularly useful in understanding the pricing and risk management of options and other derivatives, as well as in developing trading strategies and forecasting market trends.

4. What are some common applications of Stochastic Calculus?

Stochastic Calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields, including finance, economics, physics, engineering, and biology. Some common applications include option pricing, risk management, portfolio optimization, signal processing, and population dynamics.

5. Is Stochastic Calculus difficult to learn?

Stochastic Calculus can be a challenging subject, as it involves the use of advanced mathematical techniques and concepts. However, with dedication and practice, it can be mastered. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus and probability theory before studying Stochastic Calculus.