Stored charege and potentials of two capacitors in series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
zoner7
Messages
89
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two capacitors of 2.0F and 5.0F are connected in series; the combination is connected to a 1.5 volt battery. What is the charge stored on each capacitor? What is the potential difference across each capacitor?


Homework Equations


C = Q / (Delta)V

The Attempt at a Solution



Since the capacitors are in series, we can find the equivalent capacitance by solving:

1/Ceq = 1/2.0F + 1/5.0F
Ceq = 1.429F

I then used this value to find the charge on each plate of each capacitor

C = Q/V
CV = Q
1.429F * 1.5V = 2.143

So now I now the amount of charge on each plate.

Using this value in conjunction with a specific capacitance, I can find the potential difference across any given capacitor whose capacitance I know.

so, V = Q/C
2.143/2 = 1.072V
2.143/5 = .429V

Thank you for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


All correct, I think. I used a slightly different method, adding the voltages around the loop to get Q/2 + Q/5 = 1.5
which yields the same answer you got.