Storm chasing fun and photos last weekend 31 Oct - 01 Nov

In summary, the conversation was about a storm chase that took place over the weekend. The participants drove to different locations to intercept the storm line and took photos and videos of the lightning strikes. The storms were initially very active, but eventually died down. They spent the night in Goulburn and continued their chase the next day. They encountered strong winds, rain, and hail, but were still able to capture some amazing photos. Overall, they had a great time and consider storm chasing to be one of their passions. The conversation ended with a belated "like" and a Happy New Year wish.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Mid Saturday morning and the radar was telling the story, a large and long storm front line was stretching across SE Australia and was very lightning active. Said to my wife, Cindy, pack an overnite bag, we're going stormchasing and probably won't be home till Sunday nite.

300km or so of driving to the SW of Sydney saw us intercepting the storm line between the towns of Yass and Wagga Wagga ... Location map ...
SE Australia.JPG

This is what we were greeted with ...

IMGL4355sm.JPG

and
IMGL4361sm.JPG

by the time we got there ( 3 hrs of driving) the system had become very outflow dominant with the amount of lightning strikes decreasing. Outflow dominant is where the storm cell(s) is/are no longer sucking air and moisture into them to cause them to build in size or stay strong. As the inflow comes to a stop, it then reverses and becomes outflow and the system will start to collapse.
The outflow winds can be quite strong with 70 - 120 km/hr gusts being common.
The wind and torrential rain hit us so we moved further north to get ahead of it and do more photos.
Over the next several hours it died out to just become some heavy rain showers
With no other activity occurring for the day, we traveled to Goulburn, ~ 100km NE of Yass and spend the nite there. The arrival of Sunday showed that the storm prognosis still looked good. We just had 4 - 5 hours to fill in till things fired up in mid afternoon. The radar started showing activity a 100km or so to the north of us and again the chase was on
Finally could see the action up ahead so dropped off the main road to a small town of Tahmor where we could see the main system coming off the mountains sections of this were growing then dying off only to reform as new cells to the SE of Tahmor

IMGL4377sm.JPG

new cell forming to the SE with some good convection happening ...
IMGL4382sm.JPG
After surviving high winds, rain and hail from the cells coming off the mountains we headed further NE and into the inner west suburbs of Sydney. The suburb of Bankstown ... choosing my fav viewing spot in that area was great choice.
To the west another large cell coming in and quite lightning active

IMGL4390sm.JPG

and pretty much overhead another cell starting spitting intense Staccato CG ( cloud-ground) bolts within a few 100metres to 1km of us. brilliant flashes and instant sharp cracks of thunder.
A couple of frames from the video of 2 of the strikes ...

CG1.jpg

CG2.jpg

All in all, an awesome 2 days of chasing !

enjoy

Dave

Likes Evo, Greg Bernhardt and Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
Really nice lightning photos and the first few storms look real nasty!

Likes davenn
Thanks Greg

This is really one of my major passions :smile:

That first storm front is the scariest! Great pictures!

Likes davenn
Evo said:
That first storm front is the scariest! Great pictures!

Sorry, Evo, thankyou :smile:

only just noticed you had replied to this thread

a belated "like" and a timely Happy New Year

cheers
Dave

1. How do you prepare for a storm chasing excursion?

Before heading out, it's important to check weather forecasts and have a plan in case of emergencies. Make sure your vehicle is in good condition, and pack necessary supplies such as food, water, and extra batteries for your camera. It's also important to have a reliable form of communication in case of bad reception.

2. What equipment do you use for storm chasing photography?

I typically use a DSLR camera with a wide angle lens, a tripod, and a remote shutter release. It's also important to have a waterproof and sturdy camera bag to protect your equipment from the elements. I also recommend bringing a backup camera and extra memory cards.

3. How do you stay safe while storm chasing?

Safety should always be the top priority. It's important to have a good understanding of severe weather patterns and know when to retreat to a safe location. Always stay aware of your surroundings and have an escape route planned. It's also important to have proper protective gear, such as a helmet and sturdy shoes.

4. What was your most memorable storm chasing experience?

One of my most memorable experiences was when I witnessed a tornado forming. It was both thrilling and terrifying at the same time. It's a reminder of the power of nature and the importance of staying safe while chasing storms.

5. How do you edit your storm chasing photos?

I use editing software such as Adobe Lightroom to enhance the colors and contrast of my photos. However, I always try to keep my photos as true to the original scene as possible. It's important to not overdo editing and maintain the authenticity of the storm.