Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Straight lines and flat surfaces

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    Suppose I have a parameterized line ##\phi:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}^n## given by ##\phi(t) = (x^\mu(t))|_{\mu=1}^n##. How can I tell that the line is straight.

My best answer so far is that at every time ##t## the acceleration (2nd derivative) is parallel to the velocity (1st derivative), i.e. ##\ddot{\phi}(t) = g(t)\cdot\dot{\phi}(t)##, for some function ##g(t)## (which likely should better not be zero anywhere).

Is this a valid description (necessary and sufficient) of a straight line? Are there different ones?

And a very similar question for a 2-dimensional surface, i.e. now we have ##\phi:\mathbb{R}^2\to\mathbb{R}^n##. Assuming the above is true for the straight line description. Is there a similar condition for the surface?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you have posted this in the Differential Geometry forum, this may be a good time to read (up) on geodesics which is the generalization of the idea of "straight line".

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you really mean "straight" rather than "geodesic", a line is straight, at a given point, if and only if its second derivative, with respect to arc length, is 0.

5. Sep 15, 2013 #4

lavinia

Science Advisor

This is correct. A straight line can be parameterized to have the equation c(t) = b + at for vectors a and b. Any path that follows this line will be a reparameterization of it i.e. t = f(s). You can prove your conclusion using the Chain Rule.

The same idea applies for the map of a plane into Euclidean space or for a map of R^m into R^n. The only difference is the number of parameters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook