Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strain of a wire tied with an angle in a beam

1. May 24, 2016 #1
    Well, i have a cantilever beam where i have the displacement of the tip of the beam (y axis) data from a vibration of this beam. In the tip of the beam is a steel wire attached, pulling up the beam with an angle (30º for example).

I want to know if exists a form to obtain the strain of the wire based on the displacement of the beam (the vibration).

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Are these beam questions of yours for schoolwork? If so, they should be posted in the Homework Help forums...

4. May 25, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@Gerrgegeorge :

Let us deal with the basic problem on your other thread first . We can come back to this one later .

5. May 25, 2016 #4
    No, is a project of mine.

I am using a specific material to control the vibration of the beam, this material is a wire. I have tried without the angle (paralel to the beam) but in this mode the force that i need is much high.
    As my material varies is force based on his strain i need this information, but the problem is that i only have the vibration of the beam information (strain gage)

I have some ideas, but as i making simulations i want to know the right method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted