Strange ice formation, gravity-defying ?

In summary, an untouched mug of water outside for a few days was below freezing overnight, this caused a formation of an ice stalagmite.
murrmac
Can anybody explain how this inverted icicle could have come to be formed ?

This mug of water had been sitting outside for a few days, last night the temperature in Edinburgh dropped to below zero, and this morning I saw that this ice stalagmite had formed.

There was no source of dripping water which could have caused this, is there a simple physical explanation for what I see as a strange phenomenon ?

This is not a hoax or wind-up btw, there was no fakery involved, and this is a genuine untouched picture, ( I have taken the mug inside and put it in my freezer to preserve it )

icicleh.jpg

EDIT: I see that this is not the first time this has been posted on the Forum , this thread from two years ago https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=273135 contains a useful link to a paper in which the phenomenon is discussed and explained at some length.

As I might have guessed, if you search for "ice spike" on Youtube, there are several videos there depicting ice spikes of various shapes and sizes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jarednjames said:
If you read the link poster by mender (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/icespikes/icespikes.htm) in the thread you linked to, it explains them perfectly. You answered your own question.

Yes, I did read, and understand, the material in the link to which you refer.

Hence my posting the EDIT to the first post, in which I included the sentence :

..."https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=273135 contains a useful link to a paper in which the phenomenon is discussed and explained at some length" ...

Maybe I should just have deleted the entire post ?

murrmac said:
Maybe I should just have deleted the entire post ?

No! Thanks for not doing that.

1. What causes strange ice formations?

Strange ice formations can be caused by a variety of factors, such as temperature changes, wind patterns, and water movement. These factors can create unique conditions that result in unusual ice shapes.

2. Are gravity-defying ice formations natural or man-made?

Most gravity-defying ice formations are natural and occur in areas with extreme weather conditions. However, some man-made structures, such as ice sculptures, can also defy gravity.

3. How do gravity-defying ice formations stay upright?

The shape and structure of the ice, as well as the surrounding environment, play a role in keeping gravity-defying ice formations upright. For example, a thin and tapered ice structure can balance on a small point, while a flat and wide structure may require a stronger base to stay upright.

4. Can strange ice formations be dangerous?

It is important to exercise caution around strange ice formations as they can be unpredictable and unstable. In addition, some formations may be located in hazardous areas, such as near strong currents, so it is important to use caution when exploring them.

5. How do scientists study strange ice formations?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study strange ice formations, including field observations, laboratory experiments, and computer simulations. By examining the structure, composition, and behavior of these formations, scientists can gain a better understanding of the factors that contribute to their formation.