Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange proof of Young's inequality

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to absorb a perplexing proof of Young's inequality I've found. Young's inequality states that if [itex]A,B \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq 1[/itex], then [itex]A^\theta B^{1-\theta} \leq \theta A + (1-\theta)B[/itex].

The first step they take is the following: We can assume [itex]B \neq 0[/itex]. (I get that.) But then they say we can just replace [itex]A[/itex] with [itex]AB[/itex], in which case it suffices to prove [itex]A^\theta \leq \theta A - (1-\theta)[/itex].

I understand why the replacement of A with AB in Young's inequality gets you to the new inequality in only A. But I don't see why you get to do that. Why is proving [itex]A^\theta \leq \theta A - (1-\theta)[/itex] logically equivalent to proving [itex]A^\theta B^{1-\theta} \leq \theta A + (1-\theta)B[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2
    Wow. Don't I feel dumb. Suppose you know that for [itex]A \geq 0[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq 1[/itex], [itex]A^\theta \leq \theta A + (1-\theta)[/itex]. Then if [itex]B > 0[/itex], you know [itex]A/B \geq 0[/itex], so you have

[tex]
    \left( \frac{A}{B} \right)^\theta \leq \theta \frac{A}{B} + (1-\theta).
    [/tex]

Rewriting this and multiplying both sides by [itex]B[/itex], you obtain

[tex]
    A^\theta B^{1-\theta} \leq \theta A + (1-\theta)B,
    [/tex]

which is the desired result. So, I'm good to go. But I still think the book's way of explaining this bit of subterfuge ("replace A by AB") is poor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook