Strangest thing you have read in a textbook

In summary, the most poorly worded sentences or oddest figures that you have come across in a textbook are things like odd explanations or difficult to understand passages.
What are the most poorly worded sentences or oddest figures that you have come across in a textbook? It could be something in the general text or in the practice problems.

Please cite the book if you can so others can find it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I will start this off with a odd passage from The Physics of Stars by A.C. Phillips. On page 35 it says

It is denoted by a letter O,B,A,F,G,K, or M, a sequence which largely reflects a steady decrease in surface temperature from 30000 K to 3000 K. The sequence is remembered by a mnemonic which these days is considered sexist.

NFuller said:
What are the most poorly worded sentences or oddest figures that you have come across in a textbook? It could be something in the general text or in the practice problems.

Please cite the book if you can so others can find it!

I know of several paragraphs in my A-Level Physics books that were poorly worded, and I had to read them over 10 times to understand them.

It would try to explain things in a way that I found bizarre, and even the Physics teacher did not like its explanations and told us never to use the textbook...

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

This is from the AS textbook

IMG_0154.JPG

Looking back at these textbooks after more than a year, they do seem to make much more sense than they did when I first read them...

There are paragraphs that were very difficult to understand, but I can't seem to find them anymore

NFuller said:
I will start this off with a odd passage from The Physics of Stars by A.C. Phillips. On page 35 it says

It is denoted by a letter O,B,A,F,G,K, or M, a sequence which largely reflects a steady decrease in surface temperature from 30000 K to 3000 K. The sequence is remembered by a mnemonic which these days is considered sexist.

Why do you think the passage is odd? It is fairly basic information about how stars are classified.
That said, I am not actually sure why the mnemonic would be considered sexist since either "Girl" or "Guy" can be used for the G.

That was in high school and I don't remember the exact edition. Basically it was an exercise question about using Gaussian distribution. It gave us the date the husband left home for a navy mission, mean and standard deviation of the pregnancy period, and asked us to calculate the probability of the newborn being a biological child of the said husband. The correct answer was like 0.03%.

upload_2017-9-9_0-6-34.png

Likes stoomart and NFuller
f95toli said:
Why do you think the passage is odd?
You don't think the author's sudden interjection about the mnemonic being sexist is odd? I remember first reading this and thinking if the author found this offensive, then why did he even bring it up? The chapter then abruptly ends with that sentence.

Last edited:
Here's another one I just remembered. In the textbook Modern Atomic and Nuclear Physics by Fugia Yang this picture is inserted into the chapter with almost no context or description other than "A car rushes into the parlor" below it. I'm also confused as to what is happening to the people in the image...
upload_2017-9-8_13-43-37.png

Likes stoomart
NFuller said:
The sequence is remembered by a mnemonic which these days is considered sexist.

Ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFuller said:
You don't think the author's sudden interjection about the mnemonic being sexist is odd? I remember first reading this and thinking if the author found this offensive, then why did he even bring it up?
f95toli said:
Why do you think the passage is odd? It is fairly basic information about how stars are classified.
That said, I am not actually sure why the mnemonic would be considered sexist since either "Girl" or "Guy" can be used for the G.

From a footnote on page 341 of "Foundations of Astrophysics" by Barbara Ryden and Bradley Peterson:
The traditional mnemonic for this sequence is "Oh Be A Fine Girl; Kiss Me." However, if you prefer kissing guys (or goats or gorillas), feel free to make the appropriate substitution.

Last edited:
Likes NFuller, Jonathan Scott and berkeman
A friend rescued a nuclear physics textbook from the "free to a good home" pile in his university library solely because it went out of its way to (in 1920s genteel academic fashion) trash-talk theoreticians who were proposing some mysterious neutral particle in the nucleus. It was published the year before experimental confirmation of the neutron's existence.

Unfortunately I've lost touch with the friend and am not able to provide a reference. I suspect it doesn't really qualify as a valid source under PF rules anyway.

Likes wukunlin, NFuller and Hawksteinman
NFuller said:
Here's another one I just remembered. In the textbook Modern Atomic and Nuclear Physics by Fugia Yang this picture is inserted into the chapter with almost no context or description other than "A car rushes into the parlor" below it. I'm also confused as to what is happening to the people in the image...
View attachment 210655
The car driving out of the fireplace was startling enough to knock over the very short chair with the human-size doll sitting in it. Quantum tunneling?

Likes Hawksteinman and NFuller

1. What is the strangest thing you have read in a textbook?

The strangest thing I have read in a textbook is that there is a species of jellyfish called the immortal jellyfish that can revert back to its juvenile form after reaching adulthood.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the strange things mentioned in textbooks?

Yes, all information mentioned in textbooks is backed by scientific research and evidence. Textbooks go through a rigorous review process before being published to ensure accuracy and validity of the information presented.

3. Can you give an example of a strange scientific concept mentioned in a textbook?

One strange scientific concept that I have come across in a textbook is the theory of quantum entanglement, where two particles can become connected in a way that allows them to communicate and influence each other regardless of distance.

4. How do scientists determine what information to include in textbooks?

Scientists use a combination of current research, peer review, and expert consensus to determine what information is included in textbooks. They also take into consideration the accuracy, relevance, and significance of the information.

5. Are there any limitations to the information presented in textbooks?

While textbooks strive to present accurate and up-to-date information, they can sometimes be limited by the current state of scientific knowledge. As new research and discoveries are made, the information presented in textbooks may need to be revised or updated.