Strategy of drawing the points of the sequence

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
PPonte
I started the study of sequences some days ago and I am searching for tricks, hints, that could help me find the general term of a sequence. I am following the strategy of drawing the points of the sequence and then I try to find the expression of a function that contains those points. But, unfortunately, this is not helping me with the sequence I am dealing with right now. Would you please tell me your strategies/tricks?

Thank you. :wink:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Much of the time it depends on the actual sequence. For example, the sequence 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...is easy to see by observation, but the sequence 1, 1, 2, 3, 5... (Fibonnaci) isn't as easy by inspection.
 
Thank you, daveb, altough I already knew that. I ended up finding the general term of the sequence I was dealing with, precisely, by observation. But it takes time, I need tricks :).
 
The ultimate trick : http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there are too many tricks, but I would try to remember that

[tex] (-1)^{n} = 1, -1, 1, -1, 1...[/tex]

and

[tex] (-1)^{n+1} = -1, 1, -1, 1, -1...[/tex]