1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strategy of drawing the points of the sequence

1. May 24, 2006 #1
    I started the study of sequences some days ago and I am searching for tricks, hints, that could help me find the general term of a sequence. I am following the strategy of drawing the points of the sequence and then I try to find the expression of a function that contains those points. But, unfortunately, this is not helping me with the sequence I am dealing with right now. Would you please tell me your strategies/tricks?

Thank you. :wink:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2006 #2
    Much of the time it depends on the actual sequence. For example, the sequence 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....is easy to see by observation, but the sequence 1, 1, 2, 3, 5... (Fibonnaci) isn't as easy by inspection.
  4. May 24, 2006 #3
    Thank you, daveb, altough I already knew that. I ended up finding the general term of the sequence I was dealing with, precisely, by observation. But it takes time, I need tricks :).
  5. May 24, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

6. May 24, 2006 #5
    ...interesting. But during a test I cannot use this trick :) .
  7. May 24, 2006 #6
    I don't think there are too many tricks, but I would try to remember that

(-1)^{n} = 1, -1, 1, -1, 1...

(-1)^{n+1} = -1, 1, -1, 1, -1...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?