Strength of round vs. square columned building

Main Question or Discussion Point

For the same building with square vs. circular concrete columns of equal number and cross-sectional area, under what environmental conditions would one be preferred over the other?

Answers and Replies

nvn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The circular columns would probably be preferred, because they can generally handle higher loads under a variety of adverse environmental conditions (high wind, earthquake, etc.), if they have a closely-spaced spiral reinforcing bar inside.

Hi,

I'm writing an article on the strength of round columns verses square and came across your post. Would you like to contribute a "experts" quote to the article similar to your post? If so, please send your quote ASAP to kathleen@troycable.net, along with your title or credentials. Thanks so much!

Kathleen Ryan

I'm no expert; that is in part why I asked the question. By the fact that circular columns have greater symmetry (evinced throughout mechanics), I would guess them strongest in general. Of course, if the building itself were square/rectangular (as most are), square/rectangular columns might reinforce its symmetry.

I have a Master's degree in physics from George Mason University, but like I say, I am no authority in this field. Don't construct a building on my word.