Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strength of round vs. square columned building

1. Aug 27, 2009 #1
    For the same building with square vs. circular concrete columns of equal number and cross-sectional area, under what environmental conditions would one be preferred over the other?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The circular columns would probably be preferred, because they can generally handle higher loads under a variety of adverse environmental conditions (high wind, earthquake, etc.), if they have a closely-spaced spiral reinforcing bar inside.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    Hi,

I'm writing an article on the strength of round columns verses square and came across your post. Would you like to contribute a "experts" quote to the article similar to your post? If so, please send your quote ASAP to kathleen@troycable.net, along with your title or credentials. Thanks so much!

Kathleen Ryan

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4
    I'm no expert; that is in part why I asked the question. By the fact that circular columns have greater symmetry (evinced throughout mechanics), I would guess them strongest in general. Of course, if the building itself were square/rectangular (as most are), square/rectangular columns might reinforce its symmetry.

I have a Master's degree in physics from George Mason University, but like I say, I am no authority in this field. Don't construct a building on my word.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook