Round vs Square cross section tubing

• Thread starter Bushymac
  • Start date
I want to make some beaching legs for my 30ft, 9T yacht... these are supports either side of the yacht that keep it upright when the tide goes out and it sits on its keel without falling from one side or the other. My question is this, would it be stronger to use sguare or round tube to do this (ie: 80mm square vs 80mm round)

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I want to make some beaching legs for my 30ft, 9T yacht... these are supports either side of the yacht that keep it upright when the tide goes out and it sits on its keel without falling from one side or the other. My question is this, would it be stronger to use sguare or round tube to do this (ie: 80mm square vs 80mm round)
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

What is your background in Mechanical Engineering? What kinds of things could happen if this structure fails?

Nugatory
Mentor
It depends on the details of the loads you’re expecting.... but in this application you should be overbuilding enough that the differences between square and round tubing are too small to matter.

Baluncore
Science Advisor
My question is this, would it be stronger to use sguare or round tube to do this (ie: 80mm square vs 80mm round)
Strength will depend on wall thickness.
The tube will need to be securely attached somehow to the gunwale at the point of widest beam. How will that be done?
What is the footing? The foot of the tube must not sink into the mud, or slide sideways.
Tube profile is unimportant except that you must drill, weld or somehow fabricate the end attachment points.