Strenth of 1 Molar Sulfuric Acid Solution

• Thread starter tycon69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary: It's possible that the solution is diluted even further, but it's difficult to tell without more testing. One way to determine the strength of the solution is to measure its pH - if it is much higher than 1, it is less than 1 M sulfuric acid. If the pH is higher than 2, you can perform a titration to find the exact concentration. However, if the pH is over 6, it is likely too dilute to be close to 1 M. Another way to test the solution is to react it with baking soda - if it fizzes, it is likely acidic. It's also worth noting that a pH of 1 means the solution is about as concentrated as hydrochloric acid in your
tycon69
Me and some friends recently stumbled upon a 1M solution of Sulfuric Acid. It's in a small 30 ml bottle and has no distinct smell. After running a few amateur experiments (pouring it on stuff), we concluded that it is either extremely weak or simply water. I know from ap chemistry a few years ago that a 1M solution would contain a mole of H2SO4 per liter, or something of the sort, but I am not sure how strong this is. Is there any tests that i could do to tell if this is simply water or if someone diluted the mixture even further? Or is it extremely obvious from the explanation that it is water?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If pH is much higher than about 1, it might be less than 1 M sulfuric acid - exact pH value I'm not sure. If pH is higher than about 2, you can titrate to find the exact concentration (you can titrate the acid no matter the pH, really.). In case the pH is over 6, it is far too dilute to be close to 1 M.

Have you reacted it with baking soda?

Yea I finally got some ph strips and found the ph to be 1 surprisingly. Why does it not corrode anything. Although i warned him not to, a crazy friend poured a large amount on himself and it did nothing.

pH 1 means it is about as concentrated as hydrochloric in your stomach. Not very high concentration of acid.

tycon69 said:
Yea I finally got some ph strips and found the ph to be 1 surprisingly. Why does it not corrode anything. Although i warned him not to, a crazy friend poured a large amount on himself and it did nothing.

At 1 M the solution would be irritating after a couple of minutes.

1. What is the strength of a 1 Molar sulfuric acid solution?

A 1 Molar sulfuric acid solution has a concentration of 1 mole of sulfuric acid per liter of solution. This means that for every liter of solution, there is 1 mole or 98.08 grams of sulfuric acid.

2. How is the strength of a sulfuric acid solution determined?

The strength of a sulfuric acid solution is determined by its molarity, which is the number of moles of sulfuric acid per liter of solution. This can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of sulfuric acid by the volume of the solution in liters.

3. What is the purpose of using a 1 Molar sulfuric acid solution?

A 1 Molar sulfuric acid solution is commonly used in various industries for its strong acidic properties. It is often used as a strong acid in chemical reactions, as a cleaning agent, and in the production of fertilizers and other industrial chemicals.

4. Is 1 Molar sulfuric acid solution dangerous?

Yes, 1 Molar sulfuric acid solution is considered a highly corrosive and dangerous substance. It can cause severe burns and damage to skin, eyes, and other tissues upon contact. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective equipment, should always be taken when handling this solution.

5. Can the strength of a sulfuric acid solution change?

Yes, the strength of a sulfuric acid solution can change if the amount of sulfuric acid or the volume of the solution is altered. Diluting a solution with water, for example, will decrease its molarity and therefore its strength. Similarly, adding more sulfuric acid to a solution will increase its molarity and strength.