Stress Concentrations in Bended Tubular Steel

  • Thread starter Thread starter JD88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Stress
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
JD88
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
I am wondering if anyone has any idea as to where the highest stress would be in a member that is tubular steel that has been bent 90degrees with a 3" center line radius. Would it be in the center of the curve or would it be just outside of the curve?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of load is being applied to it? If it's a uniform bend its likely the maximum stress will be at the inside radius in the center of the bend, but it will depend somewhat on where and how the load is being applied.
 
Sorry I wasnt more specific. I have attached a picture that is more like what I am actually interested in. Its not exactly what I described in my first post, but hopefully it is pretty clear.
 
Attachments
Highest stress is most probably on the inside on the end, where the tube is in compression.
 
The highest stress will be in the region with the highest bending stress. Any ideas on where the highest bending stress would be?