Stress on a Guitar Soundboard when converting to Tailpiece

In summary, the conversation involves a project for personal enjoyment that involves repairing a classical guitar with a cracked tail-block. The individual is considering experimenting with using a tailpiece instead of traditional construction methods to reduce stress on the soundboard. They are seeking advice on how to calculate the reduction in stress and are wondering if this is a physics problem. Their question is how to determine the reduction in stress when using a tailpiece and stringing the guitar through the bridge. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bullpuppy
I do have a question on a project that I am doing now (for my personal enjoyment)

I bought an nice handmade classical guitar that was dropped on the tail-block and cracking it and putting two nice crack from the end of the guitar to the sound hole. Since I only invested $100 I decided to use as the basis of experimenting.I always like the concept of using a tailpiece and build the guitar sound board with less consideration on the constructions needed to support the stresses placed on the bridge by the string.

Kris Barnett has good things to say about them http://www.krisbarnettguitars.com/#!tailpiece/c1irdI was wondering how to calculate the reduction of stress on the top when using a tail piece and maintaining the break angle through the saddle. The normal classical guitar may have as much as 100 lbs of stress transmitted to the soundboard via the bridge. The bridge lifts up from the rear and down in the front and the soundboard is built to withstand that. When adding the tail piece on guitar usually the strings just go from the tail piece over the saddle. The majority the string tension is now on the tail block with downward tension on the saddle.

But if use a tailpiece and string through the hole on the bridge (causing a steep break angle) then the bridge will torque in a similar way, but hopefully much less.

It sounds like a physics problem to me. So the question is - on any given guitar with a with the strings tied to the tie-block on the bridge, is converted so that the strings are tied to a tailpiece and the strings are lead through the same holes on the bridge, then what will be the reduction to the stress on the soundboard. for the sake of argument we can say the the string from the tailpiece are running parallel to the soundboard and are at the same height as the holes in the tieblock.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks

TIm

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

What is the purpose of a tailpiece on a guitar?

A tailpiece on a guitar is used to anchor the strings at the end of the instrument, providing tension and allowing the strings to vibrate and produce sound.

What is the stress on a guitar soundboard when converting to a tailpiece?

The stress on a guitar soundboard when converting to a tailpiece refers to the pressure and tension placed on the soundboard when the strings are attached to the tailpiece. This can affect the sound and structural integrity of the guitar.

What factors should be considered when converting a guitar to a tailpiece?

When converting a guitar to a tailpiece, factors such as the type and quality of the soundboard, the type of strings and tailpiece being used, and the overall design and construction of the guitar should be taken into consideration to minimize any negative impact on the soundboard.

How can the stress on a guitar soundboard be reduced when converting to a tailpiece?

To reduce the stress on a guitar soundboard when converting to a tailpiece, it is important to choose a tailpiece that is appropriate for the specific guitar and to properly install and adjust the tailpiece to ensure the correct level of tension on the soundboard.

Are there any potential risks or damage to the guitar when converting to a tailpiece?

Yes, there are potential risks and damage to the guitar when converting to a tailpiece. If not done properly, the stress on the soundboard can cause warping, cracking, or other structural issues. It is important to consult a professional or do thorough research before attempting to convert a guitar to a tailpiece.