Stresses on penstock supported by ring girder

• Thread starter Zohra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, the ASME codes do not take into account the dimensions of the support legs when calculating stresses on the ring girder.
Zohra
the penstocks are either supported on the saddles or on ring girder legs. the standards ( like ASME) make the calculation of the stresses on the ring girder without giving the dimension of the support leg , whereas I think that the change of the dimensions of the leg will probably change the stresses on penstock and ring . can someone enlighten me on this point please ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
To question the rationale and assumptions of ASME codes, you need to ask the ASME committee members. That's very difficult.

But you too did not give the dimensions of the support legs, so how can you conclude that they will change dimensions?

It may also be true that other places in the ASME standards cover supports and overall calculation strategy.

Likes Zohra
I had second and third thoughts on your penstock question.

2. If the supports compress a small amount, the penstock will simply bend and the load on the supports won't change much. Bending moments in the penstock could become a more critical calculation than loads on the supports.

3. Deformation of the supports may be small compared to sag of the penstock at high temperatures, or snow/ice loading, or ground settling, or geological deformations in the bedrock over the life of the dam.

Likes Zohra
yes I was not clear in my question, I meant that standards have given formulas that calculate the stresses on the ring girder without taking into account the dimensions of leg. I want to make a CAD of the penstock to do numerical analysis and I do not know which length to give to the leg to meet the results given by the formulas. But since the load on the supports wont't change much so so no matter their size thank you so much ! maybe I have to remove the legs from the CAD for the numerical analysis and model the legs only by a fixed point ? Thank you for your support
(it is translated from french so sorry for the errors )

Likes anorlunda

1. What is a penstock and how is it supported by a ring girder?

A penstock is a large pipe or conduit used to transport water to hydropower plants or other industrial facilities. A ring girder is a circular beam that is used to support the weight of the penstock and distribute its load evenly to the surrounding structure. The penstock is typically attached to the ring girder using specialized clamps or brackets.

2. What are the main stresses that a penstock supported by a ring girder experiences?

The main stresses on a penstock supported by a ring girder are primarily due to the weight of the water inside the penstock and the internal pressure created by the water flow. Other factors that can contribute to stresses include changes in temperature, wind loads, and seismic activity.

3. How do engineers ensure that the ring girder can withstand the stresses placed on it by the penstock?

Engineers use various techniques such as computer simulations and physical testing to determine the maximum stresses that the penstock and ring girder will experience. They also take into account the material properties of the penstock and ring girder, as well as the design and construction methods used. The final design must meet safety standards and regulations to ensure the structural integrity of the penstock and ring girder.

4. Can the stresses on a penstock supported by a ring girder be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the stresses on a penstock supported by a ring girder. One method is to increase the diameter of the penstock, which would decrease the internal pressure. Another way is to use materials with higher strength and stiffness properties for the penstock and ring girder. Additionally, proper maintenance and inspection of the penstock and ring girder can help identify any potential issues or areas of high stress that may need to be addressed.

5. Are there any potential risks or failures associated with the stresses on a penstock supported by a ring girder?

If the stresses on the penstock and ring girder are not properly managed and controlled, there is a risk of failure. This could result in catastrophic consequences, such as a ruptured penstock or collapse of the ring girder, leading to damage to the surrounding infrastructure or even loss of life. This is why it is crucial for engineers to carefully design and monitor the stresses on the penstock and ring girder to ensure the safety and reliability of the structure.