Angle of support and strength capability

In summary: The tube thickness on the newer benches is definitely an improvement but it is still way too thin.In summary, the mechanical loads and the equipment designs can best be discussed on a different forum.
Monkey
I have been looking at new weight benches recently. Whilst I can appreciate this is not a weights training forum I think the mechanical loads and the equipment designs can best be discussed here, I´d like an engineers professional input.

Something that's rather obvious is that as benches get more expensive the box section steel they are fabricated out of gets larger and thicker gauge. Something that isn't so obvious is that the main support of the backrest often stays in a smaller gauge steel - I can't quite work this out in my mind, that the main weight support of the bench is in such small section steel, compared to say the legs or other main supports.

I´ve given a few examples of benches and annotated at the point in question, it seems to me this is the part which takes most stress yet it is the smallest gauge steel, even in the flat position where it will actually be taking more stress than in the incline position! In this case that one part of steel is taking a full stress if a lifter is led down on his back with it in the flat position, this bench is rated to 600lbs, that seems a lot of weight for that one 40 x 20mm part to take.

In the flat position the part even takes more stress than in the incline position - I have to wonder why they don't make this part out of larger section steel - It´s something they hardly ever do, after looking at scores of different benches most have a small section steel support there.

Purely out of interest the thoughts are, look forward to any feedback possible.

Attachments

• incline.jpg
    incline.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 401
  • flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 424
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe it is just total overkill on these new benches. Look at this old school bench from the 60s/70s when Arnold Schwarzenegger was lifting, and not many people will be lifting weight as heavy as these benches took.

Amazing how thin the tube is compared to the current models on post #1
old school.jpg

FAQ: Angle of support and strength capability

1) What is the relationship between the angle of support and strength capability?

The angle of support and strength capability are closely related. When an object is supported at an angle, it creates a force that is divided into two components: a vertical component (supporting the weight of the object) and a horizontal component (resisting the lateral force). The steeper the angle of support, the greater the proportion of the force that will be directed horizontally, reducing the object's ability to withstand lateral forces and decreasing its overall strength capability.

2) How does the angle of support affect the stability of a structure?

The angle of support plays a significant role in the stability of a structure. A wide base and a narrow angle of support make a structure more stable, as it distributes the weight over a larger area and reduces the horizontal force. In contrast, a narrow base and a steep angle of support can make a structure more susceptible to tipping over or collapsing under lateral forces.

3) Can the angle of support be optimized for maximum strength capability?

Yes, the angle of support can be optimized to increase the strength capability of a structure. By finding the ideal balance between the vertical and horizontal forces, a structure can be designed to withstand the greatest amount of lateral force while remaining stable. However, this will depend on the specific materials and design of the structure.

4) How does the angle of support differ between different materials?

The angle of support can vary depending on the type of material used in a structure. For example, a steel beam will have a different angle of support than a wooden beam, due to differences in their strength and flexibility. Additionally, the angle of support may need to be adjusted for different environmental conditions or loads placed on the structure.

5) What are some real-world applications of understanding the angle of support and strength capability?

Understanding the angle of support and strength capability is crucial in various fields, including architecture, engineering, and construction. It is used to design and construct stable and resilient structures that can withstand external forces such as wind, earthquakes, and heavy loads. Additionally, this knowledge is applied in the design of everyday objects, such as furniture and vehicles, to ensure they are safe and functional for use.