1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String Tension not sure on the answer i have.

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wire of material having density of 8.0 g.cm-3 is stretched so that its length is increased by 0.10%. The fundamental frequency of transverse vibrations of a part of the wire 50.0 cm long is then 150 Hz. Calculate:

(a) the velocity with which a transverse wave is transmitted along the stretched wire,

(b) the tension per unit area of cross-section of the wire,

(c) Young’s modulus for the material of the wire.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved this--- a) is simple the wave length is 0.5*2 therefore the velocity is 150m/s
    b) it says per unit area of cross section. however i have rho times Area = mu which ends up giving me a Tension by unit area of 1.8*10^8n*m^2 not per if you get what i mean
    c) is simple enough F/A=deltaL/L * Y the Area cancels (suggesting my answer for b is right) and so do the L's leaving a youngs modulus of 1.8*10^9

can someone do this and see if they agree with me please...

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2
    Hey Pat,

I agree with your answers for all of them. Im not sure if you done b the same as me, but i used v = SQRT.(T/[tex]\mu[/tex]). I done these before i even looked at your thread so either we bothed stuffed it up, they seem pretty out ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook