String Tension not sure on the answer i have.

In summary, the conversation discusses a wire with a density of 8.0 g.cm-3 being stretched and its fundamental frequency of transverse vibrations being 150 Hz. The task is to calculate the velocity of transverse waves, tension per unit area of cross-section, and Young's modulus for the material of the wire. The solutions for all three calculations are provided and agreed upon by both parties.
pat666

Homework Statement

A wire of material having density of 8.0 g.cm-3 is stretched so that its length is increased by 0.10%. The fundamental frequency of transverse vibrations of a part of the wire 50.0 cm long is then 150 Hz. Calculate:

(a) the velocity with which a transverse wave is transmitted along the stretched wire,

(b) the tension per unit area of cross-section of the wire,

(c) Young’s modulus for the material of the wire.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved this--- a) is simple the wave length is 0.5*2 therefore the velocity is 150m/s
b) it says per unit area of cross section. however i have rho times Area = mu which ends up giving me a Tension by unit area of 1.8*10^8n*m^2 not per if you get what i mean
c) is simple enough F/A=deltaL/L * Y the Area cancels (suggesting my answer for b is right) and so do the L's leaving a youngs modulus of 1.8*10^9

can someone do this and see if they agree with me please...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Pat,

I agree with your answers for all of them. I am not sure if you done b the same as me, but i used v = SQRT.(T/[tex]\mu[/tex]). I done these before i even looked at your thread so either we bothed stuffed it up, they seem pretty out ..

What is string tension?

String tension refers to the amount of force applied to a string in order to produce a certain pitch or note. It is an important factor in determining the sound and playability of a stringed instrument.

How is string tension measured?

String tension is typically measured in pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg). It can be measured using a tension gauge or by calculating the tension based on the string length, material, and pitch.

What factors affect string tension?

The main factors that affect string tension include the type of string material, string length, and the pitch or tuning of the string. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect string tension.

How does string tension impact playability?

String tension can greatly impact the playability of an instrument. A higher string tension can result in a brighter and louder sound, but it can also make it more difficult to play and require more finger pressure. A lower string tension can produce a softer and warmer sound, but it may also result in less volume and require less finger pressure.

How can string tension be adjusted?

String tension can be adjusted by changing the type of string material, adjusting the string length, or tuning the strings to a different pitch. It is important to carefully consider the impact on sound and playability before making any adjustments to string tension.