Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

String theory review.

1. Aug 16, 2014 #1
    Hi, I've been looking for a string theory review for a beginner graduate student. However, there is a vast number of reviews so it's easy to get lost. Does anyone know about a review article or any kind of material to begin with String Theory?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2014 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

4. Aug 17, 2014 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

Zwiebach is great for a first exposure. For me the best way to learn it a bit more advanced was Green,Schwartz,Witten (Volume 1) combined with the notes of Tong. I've never understood why people like Polchinski or Becker2Schwarz as introductions, to be honest.

A beautiful first exposure to SUSY is the notes of Lambert. To understand SUGRA a bit more, the notes of Samtleben are very pedagogic. But GSW+Tong should do the trick also :P

5. Aug 18, 2014 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

6. Aug 18, 2014 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Of topic: Tong has also written excellent notes on many other topics in physics. For example, I have learned a lot about Kinetic Theory from one of his notes.

7. Aug 18, 2014 #6

haushofer

Science Advisor

8. Aug 18, 2014 #7

haushofer

Science Advisor

Yes. I'm still waiting for his superstring notes, and I'd propably buy the book if it would come out.

9. Aug 18, 2014 #8

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook