String waves on a cable car and free falling.

In summary, the cable car will momentarily leave you in free fall if the amplitude of the wave is large enough. The amplitude is given by: y=-w^2Ysin(kx-wt).
Gravitino22

Homework Statement

You're riding a cable car from Bogota up to Monser-
rate. During your ride there is a small earthquake that
sends vertical, transverse waves propagating along the
cable. The cable's tension is T, its linear mass den-
sity is u, and the wavelength of the wave is [tex]\lambda[/tex]. If the
amplitude of the wave is large enough, the motion of
the cable car will momentarily leave you in free fall.
Show that in order for this to happen the amplitude
must be given by

Y => [tex]\frac{g\lambda^{2}u}{4\pi^{2}T}[/tex]

Homework Equations

position along a wave: y=Ysin(kx-wt)

string waves speed: v = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{T}{u}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My train of thought is that for free fall to happen the acceleration of the wave must be greater than the acceleration of gravity.

I tried taking the second partial derivate with respect to time of the waves position equation to obtain its acceleration which gave me:

a[tex]_{y}[/tex]=-w[tex]^{2}[/tex]Ysin(kx-wt) that should be => then g

but i don't know where the tension would or the linear mass density would come in.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appriciated! thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitino22 said:
a[tex]_{y}[/tex]=-w[tex]^{2}[/tex]Ysin(kx-wt) that should be => then g

but i don't know where the tension would or the linear mass density would come in.

try to compute k and w.

w = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f where f is the angular frequency and k =[tex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex]

that would give you sin(2[tex]\pi[/tex]([tex]\frac{x}{\lambda}[/tex] - ft)) by factoring a 2pii inside... still not seeing how the sine term is somehow related to the tension and linear mass density =/

the frequency depends on the wave speed and the wavelength

ok i made the following substitutions:

f=[tex]\frac{v}{\lambda}[/tex] and made v=[tex]\frac{x}{t}[/tex] (iam unsure about this one)

so far i have this

g<=-[tex]\frac{4\pi^{2}x^{2}Y}{\lambda^{2}t^{2}}[/tex]sin(2[tex]\pi[/tex]) the sin term is 1.

wait wait! i have it just substitute back for v[tex]^{2}[/tex] and which equals T/u and viola!

tho there's a small problem...the negative sign...

Thanks a lot tho man!

nm! i don't have it now...iam stupid sine of 2pii is not 1 lol that sine term still bothering me...somehow i know i have to make the stuff inside the sine equal to pii/2.

Gravitino22 said:
nm! i don't have it now...iam stupid sine of 2pii is not 1 lol that sine term still bothering me...somehow i know i have to make the stuff inside the sine equal to pii/2.

you already gave an equation for v.

For the amplitude you can just take the maximum value of sin() which is 1

hmm yea that's what i was thinking...Thanks a lot :)

1. What is a string wave on a cable car?

A string wave on a cable car refers to the oscillations or vibrations that occur in the cable of a cable car due to external forces, such as wind or the movement of the car itself.

2. How are string waves on a cable car different from regular waves?

String waves on a cable car are different from regular waves because they propagate along a fixed medium (the cable) rather than through a medium like air or water. They also have different characteristics, such as tension and frequency, due to the nature of the cable.

3. What causes string waves on a cable car?

String waves on a cable car are primarily caused by external forces, such as wind or the movement of the car. These forces create vibrations in the cable, which then propagate as string waves.

4. How do string waves on a cable car affect the movement of the car?

String waves on a cable car can affect the movement of the car in various ways. For example, strong winds may cause the cable to vibrate excessively, making the ride feel more turbulent. In extreme cases, string waves could potentially cause the cable car to sway or even come off the track.

5. Can string waves occur on a cable car during free-fall?

Yes, string waves can still occur on a cable car during free-fall. However, the amplitude and frequency of the waves will likely be much greater due to the increased tension and speed of the cable car. This can make the ride feel more intense and may require additional safety precautions.