[Structural Dynamics] How to model a 3D wing as a 2D Wind Tunnel Model

In summary: The author is considering a model of a wing from an aircraft and wants to approximate the spring constants. He can't find an example or application of this, so any help is appreciated.
WhiteWolf98
TL;DR Summary
I need to derive the equations of motion for a 2 DOF aircraft wing model, but can't work out how to get from a 3D wing to a 2D model.
Greetings Good People,

As the title suggests, I'm having some trouble getting to a 2D model. The process is to select an aircraft (or wing model), and model it as a 2D, 2DOF wing-tunnel model.

The aircraft I selected was a Cessna 172. This had a tapered wing, which after some calculations and assumptions, I was able to model as 2D, but that's not the whole story. The idea in the end is to model it something like the following:
1640800429280.png

While I might have the 2D wing, I don't know how to approximate the spring constants. This analysis would also be for a free vibrational response (or unforced) scenario, so there would be no M_ac.

One potential lead I found was from the following site. It mentioned that the spring constants are an approximation of the bending stiffness of the wing connected to the fuselage. So, I could find the bending stiffness of the wing, and then the spring constant of each spring would be half. This would be then varied, I'm assuming, by some ratio to create an angle of attack.

I unfortunately cannot find any kind of example or application of this, even under aeroelasticity, so any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I'm not sure what your question is. What kind of example or application are you looking for? Are the following ones enough?

Ah, my apologies, I must not have worded it clear enough. I'll try again.

So I'm not making an actual model, it's purely theoretical. I've considered a wing from an aircraft, and I want to express it in the form shown in the picture above. My only unknown is the spring constants, which I'm unsure how to approximate. I can't find any example or application of a real wing being expressed in such a form. Once I have a model, I need to use it to derive the equations of motion.

The reason I say, 'wind-tunnel model' is because that's how it's titled or defined in the textbook. This particular type of, 'wind-tunnel model' is a strut-mounted model.

Just for reference, the textbook is called, 'Introduction to structural dynamics and aeroelasticity', by Hodges, Dewey H; Pierce, G. Alvin.

When I saw your figure, I instantly saw an automotive half-car model. I did a quick search on the Internet for the terms. Is this what you are looking for:

There is also https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333612328_A_Road-Holding_Index_Based_on_Ride_Dynamics_for_High-Downforce_Racing_Cars with a more complex half-car model, including wheel mass, tire spring & damping, and even aerodynamic effects. All the equations are on p.5.

In my undergrad a while ago, we investigated "corrections" to a 2D model to allow for the 2D analysis to translate directly to a 3D model. Obviously these corrections are imperfect, however there are multiple corrections provided in this paper and you should be able to field these to get 3D values from 2D measurements.

In theory the corrections translate from 3D to 2D as well. I notice you mentioning spring constants and elasticity, however these corrections should be far simpler and not involve the spring constants whatsoever. So, if you really are hellbent on needing those values for your work/project/whatever, this source may not be your answer. Either way, hope this helps.

1. How do you model a 3D wing as a 2D wind tunnel model?

To model a 3D wing as a 2D wind tunnel model, you can use a technique called "strip theory". This involves breaking the wing into small sections and calculating the lift and drag forces on each section. These forces are then integrated along the length of the wing to determine the overall lift and drag. This method assumes that the wing is infinitely long and has a constant cross-section, making it possible to represent it as a 2D model.

2. What are the advantages of using a 2D wind tunnel model for a 3D wing?

One of the main advantages of using a 2D wind tunnel model for a 3D wing is that it simplifies the analysis process. By reducing the wing to a 2D model, the calculations become less complex and easier to interpret. Additionally, using a 2D model can also save time and resources compared to building a 3D wind tunnel model.

3. Are there any limitations to using a 2D wind tunnel model for a 3D wing?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a 2D wind tunnel model for a 3D wing. Since the model assumes an infinitely long wing with a constant cross-section, it may not accurately capture the effects of wingtip vortices and other 3D flow phenomena. Additionally, the results may not be as accurate for wings with complex geometries or non-uniform cross-sections.

4. What factors should be considered when creating a 2D wind tunnel model for a 3D wing?

When creating a 2D wind tunnel model for a 3D wing, it is important to consider the aspect ratio, airfoil shape, and angle of attack of the wing. The aspect ratio, which is the ratio of the wing's span to its chord, can affect the lift and drag coefficients. The airfoil shape determines the lift and drag characteristics of the wing, and the angle of attack affects the flow behavior and forces acting on the wing.

5. How can the results from a 2D wind tunnel model be validated?

The results from a 2D wind tunnel model can be validated by comparing them to experimental data or results from a more accurate 3D computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation. Additionally, the results can also be compared to theoretical predictions or other published data for similar wing configurations. It is important to note that validation is an ongoing process and may require adjustments to the model or experimental setup to improve accuracy.