Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Structures Practise Paper Question

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    The problem has been highlighted in the attached picture, it's an old exam paper question and I've been trying to do it in preparation for a university exam.

I am confident in modelling the structure (into both shear panels and edge members), and confident that I am able to identify both the shear flow around each shear panel and the normal stresses in the edge members. I also believe the maximum end load stress equation is:

Stress = (M.Y)/ Ixx = (force*length)/(depth_of_beam*contact_area)

Shear stress within the panels = shear_flow/ thickness

The issue I'm having is with the clamps on the panels, highlighted in the bottom right hand corner of the page. Although I believe I understand why the section P-P clamp is there, I can't decide if the Q-Q clamp is relevant to the question.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2
    My suggestion is that HK is a stiffener (Unusually called a clamp in this question) that encourages the shear tension field to be divided between GK and HJ. If it were not there, the tension field for shear would go from G to J. That would produce a weaker shear resistance. This answer is about shear buckling, rather than shear flow.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook