1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structures Practise Paper Question

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    The problem has been highlighted in the attached picture, it's an old exam paper question and I've been trying to do it in preparation for a university exam.

I am confident in modelling the structure (into both shear panels and edge members), and confident that I am able to identify both the shear flow around each shear panel and the normal stresses in the edge members. I also believe the maximum end load stress equation is:

Stress = (M.Y)/ Ixx = (force*length)/(depth_of_beam*contact_area)

Shear stress within the panels = shear_flow/ thickness

The issue I'm having is with the clamps on the panels, highlighted in the bottom right hand corner of the page. Although I believe I understand why the section P-P clamp is there, I can't decide if the Q-Q clamp is relevant to the question.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2
    My suggestion is that HK is a stiffener (Unusually called a clamp in this question) that encourages the shear tension field to be divided between GK and HJ. If it were not there, the tension field for shear would go from G to J. That would produce a weaker shear resistance. This answer is about shear buckling, rather than shear flow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook