Reduction of order for (x-1)y''-xy'+y=sin(x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
s3a
Messages
828
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement


Find the general solution for the equation

(x - 1)y'' - xy' + y = sin(x), x > 1

Given that y_1(x) = e^x satisfies the associated homogeneous equation.


Homework Equations


y_2 = v_2(x) * y_1


The Attempt at a Solution


I read http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/ReductionofOrder.aspx and attempted to replicate its method several times and I am attaching my latest attempt. The website I linked to says "Note that upon simplifying the only terms remaining are those involving the derivatives of v. The term involving v drops out. If you’ve done all of your work correctly this should always happen." but I have a term involving v that did not drop out. Also, am I supposed to ignore sin(x) or not? Based on the way the question is phrased, I'd now say I should of ignored it (please tell me if I am correct in saying this) but it doesn't matter for what I am questioning.

By the way, this thread is just about the reduction of order part. (The next step is variation of parameters but I haven't gotten there yet.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

  • MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement


Find the general solution for the equation

(x - 1)y'' - xy' + y = sin(x), x > 1

Given that y_1(x) = e^x satisfies the associated homogeneous equation.

Homework Equations


y_2 = v_2(x) * y_1

The Attempt at a Solution


I read http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/ReductionofOrder.aspx and attempted to replicate its method several times and I am attaching my latest attempt. The website I linked to says "Note that upon simplifying the only terms remaining are those involving the derivatives of v. The term involving v drops out. If you’ve done all of your work correctly this should always happen." but I have a term involving v that did not drop out. Also, am I supposed to ignore sin(x) or not? Based on the way the question is phrased, I'd now say I should of ignored it (please tell me if I am correct in saying this) but it doesn't matter for what I am questioning.

By the way, this thread is just about the reduction of order part. (The next step is variation of parameters but I haven't gotten there yet.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Check your algebra.

There is no term left involving v.
 
I found that the ve^x is supposed to be vxe^x such that they do cancel out (thanks) but now I'm stuck again. Could you please tell me what I am doing wrong now?

If I'm right so far, I don't see how what I did yields y = x.
 

Attachments

  • MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 441
You got v' correctly,

[tex]v'=C_1e^{-x}(x-1)[/tex].

Integrate, add second constant, multiply by ex.

ehild