1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Student loans for an EE major question

  1. Dec 4, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, so my parents just recently decided that i need to move out. Now they originally said that they would take care of all my tuition fees as long as i paid for my living expenses. I was told by my adviser that it really wasn't a good idea if i worked more than 10 hours a week in order to finish my degree on time. I am technically starting my 2nd year this coming spring semester. Since i don't know much about student loans, solely because i haven't had to take any out thus far, could i get a loan from my school that would pay for 3 years of living expenses? i know it depends on the school, and i plan on talking to someone in the next couple days, but from your personal experiences? Does it help that i don't have to pay tuition costs? thanks a ton guys!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Education Advisor

    Since you seem so eager for an answer!

    I won't answer! Just joking. First, your advisor who tells you that you should not work more than 10 hour a week in order to finish your degree is steering you slightly astray. If the choice is between one extra year in college or a loan (debt) then why wouldn't you spend that extra year in college? Graduating in 5 years vs 4 isn't so uncommon that someone will look down on you for it! Heck, learning to work in order to support yourself while getting an education will probably be a good life experience.

    Is it easy? No. After my time in the military, I went to school full time, worked, and had to support a wife and baby. I had the added benefit of 1,000 dollars a month for 9 months of the year for living expenses and my tutition was covered by the GI Bill.

    All this can be made easier if you get a roommate too!
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. Dec 5, 2012 #3
    I would speak to the financial aid department at your school to see about getting grants and loans. Usually, you would need to complete a FASFA (or FAFSA?) to do so. But I think since it's December, you might have to wait and register for it in January-February of next year to be funded for summer and fall 2013. But this could be different in your case. Before you fill out anything: make sure it's .gov and not .com,.net .

    To summarize: Talk to you financial aid department.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook