Student Membership Benefits at APS: Is It Worth It?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Student
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Simfish
Gold Member
Messages
811
Reaction score
2
The benefits are listed at http://www.aps.org/membership/student.cfm

You get a free online subscription to Physical Review Letters, Reviews of Modern Physics or one section of Physical Review.

But is that really a benefit if your university already has access to these journals?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


You'll get a copy of Physics Today, which is good. You'll get reduced registration fees for their conferences. And you can put it on your resume, which will show internships/grad schools that you're getting involved.
 


Hm I see. I can view all physics today articles for free (on my university connection) even when I'm not logged on though. And if I put it on my resume, does that just make me look like I'm padding up my resume? (especially since I'm not doing anything in it?)
 


I wouldn't say so...professional societies are good.

I'm an aerospace major, and I am a member of AIAA (professional soceity for aerospace) and IEEE. I'm also considering joining SIAM, APS, and AMS...
 


Simfish said:
Hm I see. I can view all physics today articles for free (on my university connection) even when I'm not logged on though. And if I put it on my resume, does that just make me look like I'm padding up my resume? (especially since I'm not doing anything in it?)

A student membership also gives you discounted (even free) registration to conferences, and prompt news on what's going on within the physics community. They may also send you info that specifically benefits students.

Besides, it is always a nice thing to support a professional organization that you either find beneficial, or something you might work in. Note that if you have a SPS branch at your school, then you might want to consider joining that since it ties in with the APS as well.

Zz.
 


Oh okay - thanks for the info.

Hm, if I'm a member of 3 professional societies, then is it resume padding to put this membership on my CVs?