1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studies - Should I change to an ME major?

1. Feb 1, 2014 #1
    Studies -- Should I change to an ME major?

Hi, I'm a second year architecture student, though more interested in robotics, machinery, and even transhumanism. I was wondering if mechanical engineering is the right place for a future involvement in these subjects.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

Engineering is an interdisciplinary profession. Unless you're really specialized, many big projects will have a number of engineers from different areas working on them. Biomedical, electrical, and mechanical engineering immediately come to mind when considering the three areas mentioned in your post. What you will have to figure out is what part(s) of the areas are most interesting to you. For example, do you want to design the electrical or electronic systems of a robot, or would you rather work on its mechanical systems? Trans-humanism isn't as clearly delineated, in my opinion. What part of trans-humanism are you interested in: ethics (philosophy), biological aspects (Biology or Biomedical Engineering), AI (Computer Science), etc?

You should speak with faculty or graduate students in each engineering department and ask about what they're working on. In the end, you'll have to take courses to figure out what you like, but that should give you a general idea about which direction you should head.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook