Studies - Should I change to an ME major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of switching to a mechanical engineering major for someone interested in robotics, machinery, and transhumanism. It is suggested to research and speak with faculty and graduate students from different engineering departments to determine the specific area of interest within these subjects. Taking courses in each department can also help in making a decision.
joey
Studies -- Should I change to an ME major?

Hi, I'm a second year architecture student, though more interested in robotics, machinery, and even transhumanism. I was wondering if mechanical engineering is the right place for a future involvement in these subjects.

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering is an interdisciplinary profession. Unless you're really specialized, many big projects will have a number of engineers from different areas working on them. Biomedical, electrical, and mechanical engineering immediately come to mind when considering the three areas mentioned in your post. What you will have to figure out is what part(s) of the areas are most interesting to you. For example, do you want to design the electrical or electronic systems of a robot, or would you rather work on its mechanical systems? Trans-humanism isn't as clearly delineated, in my opinion. What part of trans-humanism are you interested in: ethics (philosophy), biological aspects (Biology or Biomedical Engineering), AI (Computer Science), etc?

You should speak with faculty or graduate students in each engineering department and ask about what they're working on. In the end, you'll have to take courses to figure out what you like, but that should give you a general idea about which direction you should head.

Last edited:

1. What is an ME major?

An ME major, or mechanical engineering major, involves the study of designing, building, and testing mechanical systems and devices.

2. What skills are required for an ME major?

An ME major requires strong skills in math, physics, and problem-solving. It also requires an understanding of mechanical principles and the ability to design and analyze mechanical systems.

3. How is an ME major different from other engineering majors?

An ME major is focused specifically on mechanical systems, while other engineering majors may have a broader focus such as electrical or civil engineering. ME majors also have a strong emphasis on hands-on design and testing.

4. What career opportunities are available for ME majors?

ME majors have a wide range of career opportunities, including working in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and robotics. They can also pursue careers in research and development, consulting, and academia.

5. Is it a good idea to switch to an ME major?

This ultimately depends on your interests and strengths. If you have a strong interest in mechanical systems and possess the necessary skills, switching to an ME major can lead to a fulfilling and lucrative career. It is important to carefully consider your options and speak with an academic advisor before making any major changes to your studies.