Study engineering or astrophysics at university?

In summary, the person is a recent graduate who loves computers and astronomy-astrophysics. They have decided to pursue a career as an electrical and computer engineer instead of physics due to better job prospects. However, they are still interested in working in the field of astronomy-astrophysics in the future. They ask if it is possible to work in this field while studying engineering and if anyone has similar experiences. The answer is that while it is possible to work on instruments used by astrophysicists, they will not be doing the same work. They also ask if it is possible to pursue a degree in physics while studying engineering, and the answer is that there may not be enough time but they can take some physics classes at their
Nazgul_Gondor
Hi,

I've just graduated from school and getting ready for university. I really love computers and astronomy-astrophysics. I've decided to follow a career as an a electrical and computer engineer and not physics. I've chose this mainly because I will find a job easier than going to physics (at least at my country). However I would like to know if in the future I will be able, if I want to, to work on the field of astronomy-astrophysics. Is it possible or am I heading to the wrong direction? I would really like an answer from a person who has the same experience as I.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As an EE you'll be able to find jobs at aerospace companies, national labs and you'll be able to work on instruments astrophysicists use, but you won't be doing the work astrophysicists do.

Just do astrophysics if that's what you really want.

Is it possible while I'm studying engineering at the university, to do a degree on physics at the open university at UK? I mean, will there be time? Is it possible? Has anyone done sth similar?

No there isn't time. But you can probably take some physics classes in your university either to count toward your engineering degree or just out of interest.

Oddly enough I did astrophysics and it turned out to be a good way of getting into engineering! I built telescopes and large astronomical instruments.

1. What is the difference between engineering and astrophysics?

Engineering focuses on the design, creation, and maintenance of practical solutions to real-world problems, while astrophysics is the study of celestial objects and the physical laws that govern them.

2. What kind of career opportunities are available for engineering and astrophysics graduates?

Engineering graduates can pursue careers in a variety of fields such as aerospace, automotive, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering. Astrophysics graduates can work in research, academia, or space exploration industries.

3. Is it possible to double major in engineering and astrophysics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in engineering and astrophysics, but it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. Some universities also offer combined programs that integrate both fields of study.

4. What are the prerequisites for studying engineering or astrophysics at university?

The prerequisites for studying engineering or astrophysics at university may vary depending on the institution, but typically include strong math and science skills, as well as a solid foundation in physics, chemistry, and calculus.

5. How can I prepare for a degree in engineering or astrophysics?

You can prepare for a degree in engineering or astrophysics by taking advanced math and science courses in high school and participating in extracurricular activities related to these fields. It is also helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities.