Studying for Math and Physics Finals

In summary: People usually start studying around a month before the exam and continue to study throughout the exam period. This allows for a better understanding of the material and a higher score.
Fragment
Hello,

How much time do you average per course (Math and Physics) for your final exams? Let's say you have 8 consecutive days with nothing else to do than study(However, you could decide to do whatever you want, leisure, work, socializing...), how would you organize your time?

Thanks for any input.

-F

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends how well I knew the material. I've had classes where I followed most of what went on during the semester - in that case I usually just need to "brush up" to prepare for the final, and that usually only takes me about 1 day. I've had other courses where major parts of the class went over my head during the semester, and I needed to sit down and learn what I missed - or at least fill in big gaps. In this case, 8 days of sustained effort may not be enough. Looking at past exams usually helps you realize quickly what kind of shape you are in. Can you do most of the problems they will throw at you?

Well I mostly stayed on top of my classes throughout the semester so when I finished all my assignments two weeks before exams I devoted three days to one class, then the next three days to another class etc, and repeated the process until exams started.

However everyone has different habits, if you have really been keeping up with the course work 1-3 days is all you need to review, but if you haven't been keeping up with your studies then it will require a lot more time. The best thing to do is to start studying a month before exams just for an hour per day, so that when exam time gets closer you'll be more familiar with the material.

I have very good control of the material. However, I'm aiming for somewhere over 90s for both exams, so even if I'm masterful with the material, I will still practice problems nonstop. Exams become trivial when I do this. Right now, I practice physics for 4 hours in the morning (Usually 7-11), and then I have a few hours off, and then practice math for 4 hours in the evening (Usually 6-10). During my daytime break I exercise to keep my mind focused. I also limit myself to two teas per day, one per study session. I try not to overeat, get enough sleep, and to avoid irrelevant leisure during finals periods, this helps me keep focused. (Irellevent leisure: Video games, television, etc..) I limit myself mostly to outdoor activities and reading on subjects other than science.

I was just wondering what others do, or if others have similar ways of studying for finals or just exams.

-F

ellow student

Hello fellow student,

I understand the importance of effective studying for final exams. The amount of time needed to study for Math and Physics finals may vary depending on individual learning styles and the difficulty level of the material. However, on average, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours per day per course in order to thoroughly review and understand the material.

Given 8 consecutive days with no other obligations, I would suggest dedicating the first few days to reviewing and organizing notes, creating study guides, and identifying any areas of weakness. This will help establish a solid foundation for the remaining days of studying. The next few days can be spent practicing problems and equations, as well as seeking help from peers or instructors if needed. The last couple of days can be used for final review and memorization of key concepts and formulas.

It is important to also incorporate breaks and leisure activities into the study schedule to avoid burnout and maintain a healthy balance. Additionally, using study techniques such as flashcards, practice tests, and teaching the material to someone else can be beneficial in retaining information.

I hope this helps with your final exam preparations. Best of luck!

Sincerely,

What are the best study strategies for math and physics finals?

The best study strategies for math and physics finals include creating a study schedule, practicing with past exams or exercises, reviewing notes and class materials, and seeking help from a tutor or study group.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for math and physics exams?

To improve your problem-solving skills for math and physics exams, try breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, use diagrams or visual aids, and practice solving a variety of problems to familiarize yourself with different techniques and approaches.

What resources can I use to study for math and physics finals?

Some helpful resources for studying for math and physics finals include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study guides, and review sessions provided by your teacher or school.

How can I stay organized while studying for math and physics finals?

To stay organized while studying for math and physics finals, make a list of all the topics you need to review, use color-coding or labeling for different subjects, and keep all your notes and study materials in one place.

Is it important to review all the material or should I focus on specific topics for math and physics finals?

It is important to review all the material for math and physics finals, but you can also prioritize by focusing on the topics you struggle with the most or those that are heavily weighted on the exam. Also, make sure to review any topics that were covered more recently in class.