1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying for math test - A few things I dont understand

1. Jan 4, 2009 #1
    I have a math test coming up and I have last years test in front of me for a study guide. I can do most of the questions on this test and I know the theory behind everything on it but heres a couple of questions that I cant seem to get right.

Q1) If (x + 1) and (x - 2) are factors of x3 + 2x2 + ax + b find the values of a,b E(that greek symbol that looks like a rounded E) R, and find remaining factor.
    I assumed that to find a and b I would have to plug each root -1 and 2 into the equation so I have 2 simultaneous equations but it didn't work out for some reason.

Heres what I did
    (-1)3 + 2(-1)2 + a(-1) + b = 0 =>a - b = 1
    did the same with the other root and got
    2a + b = 16

by elimination I got A=17/3 and B=5 but these don't seem to plug into the equation. Am I going about this question the right way?

Also it asks me to find the last factor. I know I can do that by dividing the factors I have into the equation but is that the quickest method to obtaining the final factor when you already have 2?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2009 #2
    You can do it 2 ways,

1) you know that (x+1) and (x-2) are factors of that cubic, therefore you know the last root is real too (conjugate pairs and such) so it will be of the form (x - z)

So x^3 + 2x^2 + ax + b = (x+1)(x-2)(x-z), figure it out :)

2) since (x+1) and (x-2) are roots of that equation, then if we define

f(x) = x^3 + 2x^2 + ax + b, then f(-1) = f(2) = 0

Therefore -1 + 2 - a + b = 0 i.e. 1 - a + b = 0 which gives us a - b = 1 as you said

and

8 + 8 + 2a + b = 0 i.e. 16 + 2a + b = 0 which is the same as 2a + b = -16 which is not what you have. Maybe you want to try again?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?