1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stumped can someone derive a formula for this single variable problem?

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    You have 10 days of numbers that are averaged together (10 day avg). The most recent 3 days of numbers also averaged (3 day avg). The 3 day average is divided by the 10 day average to arrive at (3d/10d)

The oldest number in the series is dropped off and a new one, X, is added. X is the newest number and thus a part of both the day and 3 day average. The (3d/10d) remains the same. What is X?

I need to write a formula for this in excel! That means every computation on one side of the = sign, and I'm not even sure if Excel can take variables. I think the trick is figuring out the forumla for the new 3d/10d, but not sure. Any ideas?

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3d10davged2.png

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Setting the two ratios (3day / 10day) equal, we get

[tex]
    \frac{sum(b8..b10)}{sum(b1..b10)} = \frac{sum(b9..b10) + x}{sum(b2..b10)+x}
    [/tex]

Solve that equation for x to get your answer.

4. Aug 5, 2008 #3
    Thank you! It's been a while since I've penciled down an algebra equation, lets see if this rusty old brain can get that X value now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?