1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sub-forum browsing, and education choices

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    I sometimes glance at the EE forums, but never find anything ineresting. Maybe it's because I don't understand any of it yet?

I love the physics, mainly quantuam forum, which I browse daily, sometimes pulling up 2-3 year old threads, and reading them hours on end, momentarily forgetting about time. I don't understand most of this neither, but the idea's are still interesting.

now the question:

Am I lying to myself, fooling myself into thinking that I'm a destined electrical engineer? I really do like electronics though. From televisions, to computers, to miicrowaves, and even the electricity that power them. How it all works is very interesting to me.

I'm very torn on what to do right now. If a bachelor's degree in physics has a good job market, and just as high pay as engineer, I would certainly go for physics.

I'll be in Uni first year this year, at 25, I can finish a bachelor's by 29-30. I really don't want to go for a Ph.d, provided that I am able, and finish by 34-35. And from information I've gathered, with just a bachelor's in physics, it's tough to find a job.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2
    Tough situation. The cool thing about physics is that you pick up a bit of everything. I took 2 electronics courses through the physics department, the labs help a bit, etc.

All it comes down to is "Would you rather build things, or understand them?" As a physicist you tend to do both (at least in experimentalism), same as in engineering, but the goals are what I'm talking about. The goal of engineering is to make something, the goal of physics is to understand something.

I'm in my 3rd year of physics and seriously wondering if I want to go into physics or engineering, because making stuff is just so fun. However, I don't want to switch majors because I also love learning the things I'm learning about, like Quantum Mechanics, E&M, Relativity, etc. It's all very interesting.

So, what I'm trying to say is, I'm already a few years in and still have no idea what I would rather do. One option would be to get a BS in physics and then go for a Master's in engineering. Something I'm still considering.

4. Mar 22, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If one is interested in Electrical Engineering, then please visit the IEEE website to get an idea of what choices are available.

IEEE Societies/Specialties
    http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/societies/index.html?WT.mc_id=hpwd_societies

Communications Society
    Components, Packaging & Manufacturing Technology Society
    Computational Intelligence Society
    Computer Society
    Consumer Electronics Society
    Control Systems Society
    Dielectrics & Electrical Insulation Society
    Education Society
    Electromagnetic Compatibility Society
    Electron Devices Society
    Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society
    Geoscience & Remote Sensing Society
    Industrial Electronics Society
    Industry Applications Society
    Information Theory Society
    Microwave Theory & Techniques Society
    Nuclear & Plasma Sciences Society
    Oceanic Engineering Society
    Power Electronics Society
    Power Engineering Society
    Product Safety Engineering Society
    Professional Communication Society
    Reliability Society
    Robotics and Automation Society
    Signal Processing Society
    Society on Social Implications of Technology
    Solid-State Circuits Society
    Systems, Man & Cybernetics Society
    Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics & Frequency Control Society
    Vehicular Technology Society

Each society has website within IEEE.

As for EE vs Physics, one could do both or major in EE and minor in physics. One approach would be to sample EE curricula at different universities and similarly sample the Physics curricula at the corresponding institutions. Make a plan/outline of what one might do in a 4-yr program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?