Subalgebra of one less dimension

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a subalgebra of dimension dim(g)-1 in a complex Lie algebra. While the claim is trivially true for dimension two, it is not true for all dimensions. The conversation also considers the case of solvable and semisimple Lie algebras, as well as the possibility of a subalgebra of codimension one in a simple Lie algebra. The case of a simple Lie algebra with a subalgebra of codimension one is only possible when the algebra is sl(2,C).
jostpuur
Let g be a complex Lie algebra, of dimension greater than one. Does there always exist a subalgebra of dimension dim(g)-1?

If the claim is not true, is it true for some particular dimension? I can see that the claim is trivially true for dim(g)=2, but what about for example dim(g)=3?

The o(3,R) spanned by e_1,e_2,e_3, (with real coefficients) satisfying [e_1,e_2]=e_3, [e_2,e_3]=e_1, [e_3,e_1]=e_2, doesn't have a two dimensional subalgebra, but the obvious counter example attempt o(3,C) (the same basis, but complex coefficients) to the claim doesn't work, because now e_1+ie_2 and e_3 actually span a two dimensional subalgebra, [e_1+ie_2,e_3] = i(e_1 + ie_2).

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question. A complex Lie algebra can always be written an ##\mathfrak{g} = \mathfrak{T} \ltimes \mathfrak{R}## and the radical has an ideal of codimension one, say ##\mathfrak{I} \subseteq \mathfrak{R}##. Now we can build ##\mathfrak{T} \oplus \mathfrak{I}## with ##[\mathfrak{T},\mathfrak{I}] \subseteq \mathfrak{R}## but we need that ##\mathfrak{I}## is an ideal of ##\mathfrak{g}## which I think is not generally the case, because the semisimple part ##\mathfrak{T}## acts "too transitive" on ##\mathfrak{R}##. But for solvable, complex Lie algebras, i.e. ##\mathfrak{T}=\{\,0\,\}##, we even have an ideal of codimension one.

Dimension two is trivially true, since there is only an Abelian and one solvable Lie algebra. The question hasn't much to do with dimension, rather with the operation of ##\mathfrak{T}## on ##\mathfrak{R}## as mentioned above. Low dimensions just don't have enough structure available for ##\mathfrak{T}##.

Simple algebras as the orthogonal Lie algebra you mentioned, or more generally semisimple Lie algebras always have trivial radical ##\mathfrak{R}=\{\,0\,\}##. Hence we must ask if there is always a subalgebra ##\mathfrak{S} ## of codimension ##1## in a simple Lie algebra. This would automatically create an example in the general case, too, as we can build ##\mathfrak{S}\oplus \mathfrak{R}##.

So let's assume ##\mathfrak{g} = \mathfrak{h} \oplus \sum_{\alpha \in \Delta^{-}} \mathbb{C}E_\alpha \oplus \sum_{\alpha \in \Delta^{+}} \mathbb{C}E_\alpha##. We can certainly not choose a vector from the CSA ##\mathfrak{h}## since it is generated by the rest. But if we choose a vector ##E_\alpha## as missing basis vector, then we can recover it with elements of ##\mathfrak{h}##, as it is within a chain of roots, except in the case ##| \Delta^{+}|=1## where ##\mathfrak{g}=\mathfrak{sl}(2,\mathbb{C})## and its Borel subalgebra ##\mathfrak{B(sl}(2,\mathbb{C}))## is the only example of a simple Lie algebra with a subalgebra of codimension ##1##.

What is a subalgebra of one less dimension?

A subalgebra of one less dimension is a mathematical concept that refers to a subset of a larger algebra that has one less dimension than the original algebra. This means that the subalgebra has fewer variables or parameters than the original algebra.

How is a subalgebra of one less dimension created?

A subalgebra of one less dimension is created by taking a subset of the original algebra and removing one of its dimensions. This can be done by setting one of the variables or parameters to a constant value, or by eliminating one of the equations or constraints that define the algebra.

What is the significance of a subalgebra of one less dimension?

A subalgebra of one less dimension can help simplify complex systems or equations, making them easier to solve. It can also provide insight into the structure and relationships within the original algebra. Additionally, subalgebras of one less dimension are often used in applications such as computer graphics and physics.

How is a subalgebra of one less dimension different from a subalgebra of the same dimension?

A subalgebra of one less dimension differs from a subalgebra of the same dimension in that it has fewer variables or parameters. This means that the subalgebra of one less dimension may have a simpler structure and may be easier to analyze and manipulate.

What are some examples of subalgebras of one less dimension?

Some examples of subalgebras of one less dimension include the 2D plane (a subalgebra of the 3D space), the x-y plane (a subalgebra of the x-y-z space), and a linear subalgebra (a subalgebra of a polynomial algebra). These are just a few examples, as subalgebras of one less dimension can be found in various mathematical systems and applications.