1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Submersible Water Pump, 4.3 amps, must work in the water,

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    Hi Friends, a high quality submersible water pump from Italy, it is 220 volt, 1,100SA, 4.3 amps, and it is grounded into the earth while in use; and we also have an emergency electrical cut-off that cuts the power in case of an electrical short; but the question is, in a new high quality pump like this, how safe and how insane is it that I work in the water while the pump is running (No way to do the work unless the pump is running; and yes it is also again, grounded into the earth.) And again I’m so ignorant on this subject that I think as an example of ‘a submarine’, many many volts and amps, radio antennas and everything, under water in salt water; and so why is it in my little brain, Italy, USA, or Germany etc, cannot design and make a pump where when healthy and new is specifically designed that electronic leak, jump, or spark, is just basically impossible? – All honest true comments hoped for and needed; how safe am I to be in the water in work in this with rubberised tools; how likely is a shock likely, and if so, what are my chances wet, in this case with a one second shock at 4.3 amps?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2

cjl

If the pump is designed to be submersible, and is in decent repair, there shouldn't be any problem. A shock shouldn't be likely at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook