1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspace/induced/relative Topology Definition

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding the definition of a Subspace/Induced/Relative Topology. The definitions I'm finding either don't define symbols well (at all).

If I understand correctly the definition is:

Given:
    -topological space (A,[tex]\tau[/tex])
    -[tex]\tau[/tex]={0,A,u1,u2,...un}
    -subset B[tex]\subset[/tex]A

The subspace topology on B will be the intersection of B and every part of the topology of A

OR

[tex]\tau[/tex]B={0,B,B[tex]\bigcap[/tex]u1,B[tex]\bigcap[/tex]u2,...B[tex]\bigcap[/tex]un}

...I apologize in advance for my LATEX work.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks correct idea for the subspace topology... but there is a serious problem in your understanding of topology: you seem to be assuming there are only finitely many open sets.

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    The u's are finite for illustrative purposes. I wanted to avoid using the form given by Wikipedia because it has insufficient textual explanation.

They have this definition, but don't specify exactly what a U is:

[tex]\tau[/tex]B={B[tex]\bigcap[/tex]U|U[tex]\in[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]}

It seems that me that you need to say how U fits into the first topology.

5. Feb 15, 2010 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes they do: they say a U is an element of [itex]\tau[/itex].

This is standard set-builder syntax for replacement: on the right of | you introduce a variable and its domain, and on the left of the | you have a function of that variable indicating what should go into the set you're building.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook