Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspace/induced/relative Topology Definition

1. Feb 15, 2010 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding the definition of a Subspace/Induced/Relative Topology. The definitions I'm finding either don't define symbols well (at all).

If I understand correctly the definition is:

Given:
    -topological space (A,[tex]\tau[/tex])
    -[tex]\tau[/tex]={0,A,u1,u2,...un}
    -subset B[tex]\subset[/tex]A

The subspace topology on B will be the intersection of B and every part of the topology of A

OR

[tex]\tau[/tex]B={0,B,B[tex]\bigcap[/tex]u1,B[tex]\bigcap[/tex]u2,...B[tex]\bigcap[/tex]un}

...I apologize in advance for my LATEX work.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks correct idea for the subspace topology... but there is a serious problem in your understanding of topology: you seem to be assuming there are only finitely many open sets.

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    The u's are finite for illustrative purposes. I wanted to avoid using the form given by Wikipedia because it has insufficient textual explanation.

They have this definition, but don't specify exactly what a U is:

[tex]\tau[/tex]B={B[tex]\bigcap[/tex]U|U[tex]\in[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]}

It seems that me that you need to say how U fits into the first topology.

5. Feb 15, 2010 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes they do: they say a U is an element of [itex]\tau[/itex].

This is standard set-builder syntax for replacement: on the right of | you introduce a variable and its domain, and on the left of the | you have a function of that variable indicating what should go into the set you're building.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook