Succeeding from no background in math?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle and doubt with math and the desire to become an electronic engineer. The speaker shares their personal experience with math and their current pursuit of improving their job prospects. They also mention their age and their current progress in mastering math.
Tyrion101
I need a bit of inspiration for those moments where I'm doubting myself. Before this past summer I had no real good experiences with math, and wasn't very good at it, I practiced enough to get me into a beginning algebra course, though I could have gotten higher if I weren't so nervous on the entrance test. I am in the process of trying to improve my job prospects and want to be an elctronic engineer. This I have been told requires a ton of math. I was just wondering if there were any success stories out there to keep me going when I feel like I'm never going to make it? I'm currently 32 if that matters.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Tyrion101.

In high school I couldn't do the proper probability questions (combinatorics combinations permutations etc) and I didn't understand anything about what was going on in anything but the simplest probability.

I'm doing Masters coursework in Statistics.

If you work at it you can do it =) Getting a good intuition in math takes time!

1. What are some tips for succeeding in math without any prior background?

1. Start with the basics: Begin by understanding the fundamentals of math, such as numbers, basic operations, and basic geometry. This will provide a solid foundation for more complex concepts.

2. Practice regularly: Math, like any other skill, requires practice to improve. Set aside time each day to practice and review what you have learned.

3. Seek help when needed: Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher, tutor, or classmates. They can provide valuable explanations and guidance when you are struggling with a concept.

4. Use online resources: There are many online resources, such as Khan Academy and Math is Fun, that offer tutorials and practice problems for various math topics.

5. Stay positive and persistent: Math can be challenging, but don't give up! Stay positive and persistent, and remember that with hard work and determination, you can succeed in math even without a prior background.

2. How can I overcome my fear of math if I have no background in it?

1. Identify the root of your fear: Is it a lack of understanding, a bad experience, or pressure to succeed? Once you know the cause, you can better address it.

2. Break down the material: Math can seem overwhelming when looking at it as a whole. Break it down into smaller, more manageable sections and focus on one at a time.

3. Use real-world examples: Many math concepts have real-life applications. Understanding how they are used in everyday situations can make them more relatable and less intimidating.

4. Get support: Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher, tutor, or classmates. They can offer support and guidance to help you overcome your fear of math.

5. Practice, practice, practice: The more you practice, the more comfortable and confident you will become in your math skills.

3. Can I still succeed in math if I have no background in it?

Yes, you can still succeed in math even if you have no background in it. With hard work, determination, and a positive attitude, you can learn and understand math concepts and excel in the subject.

4. How can I catch up with my peers who have a background in math?

1. Start with the basics: Begin by understanding the fundamentals of math and reviewing any concepts you may have missed. This will provide a solid foundation for more complex topics.

2. Use online resources: There are many online resources that offer tutorials and practice problems for various math topics. Use them to catch up on any missed material.

3. Seek help from your teacher or tutor: Don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher or a tutor. They can offer personalized support and help you catch up with your peers.

4. Practice regularly: Regular practice is key to catching up with your peers. Set aside time each day to review and practice what you have learned.

5. Stay motivated: It can be challenging to catch up with your peers, but stay motivated and remember that with hard work and determination, you can succeed in math.

5. What are some common misconceptions about succeeding in math without a background in it?

1. You need to be naturally good at math: Many people assume that being good at math is a natural talent, but it is a skill that can be learned and improved with practice and hard work.

2. It's too late to learn: It is never too late to learn math. With the right attitude and dedication, anyone can improve their math skills at any age.

3. You need to memorize everything: While some math concepts require memorization, understanding the underlying principles and applying them can often be more effective than rote memorization.

4. It's too hard: Math can be challenging, but with the right approach and support, anyone can succeed in it. Don't let the difficulty discourage you from trying.

5. You need to love math to succeed: While having a passion for math can certainly help, it is not a requirement for success. With determination and hard work, anyone can excel in math even without a love for the subject.