Suggestions about beginning with Rocket Science

• Studying
  • Thread starter kdrdgn07
  • Start date
Hello everyone. I want to be interest in rockets. How I begin? Which books are I have to read? I'm also interesting with aircraft. Especially unmanned aircrafts. I have a little bit aerodynamic infrastructure. I'm waiting your answers. Thank you.

Answers and Replies

What is your background so far? What year are you in school? Is there a local hobby model rocketry club at your school or nearby? :smile:

http://www.artapplewhite.com/hotroc/boyscouts.jpg
boyscouts.jpg
I'm studying mechanical engineering but My interest in area is space and aviation. I love dealing with space and astronomy and I want to work these areas. It's not hobby. I want to specialize in these areas.

berkeman
Mentor
I'm studying mechanical engineering but My interest in area is space and aviation. I love dealing with space and astronomy and I want to work these areas. It's not hobby. I want to specialize in these areas.
So you are in university now? Does the university have an Aeronautical Engineering program?

So you are in university now? Does the university have an Aeronautical Engineering program?
No. As ı said I am studying mechanical engineering. Unfortunately It hasn't. I am related with these areas. I am studying "Aircraft Design" book, (author: Daniel P. Raymer) and I want to specialize about rockets.

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The good news is that aerospace engineering is really just a subset of mechanical engineering, so you are in the right track. Your university almost certainly has a course for compressible flow, so make sure you take that, as it will explain a lot about the fluid dynamics involved with rockets. If they have any other electives like combustion or propulsion, just take those. As long as you can take a few suitable electives, aerospace companies will need just as many mechanical engineers as they do aerospace engineers. Alternatively, you could go to graduate school elsewhere for aerospace engineering.

Likes kdrdgn07 and berkeman