Suggestions about books for Theoretical physics master course

In summary, the individual is enrolled in a theoretical physics master program at Ecole Normal Superieure in Paris and is seeking advice to speed up their progress from knowledgeable individuals. They have completed a five year course in mathematics, physics, engineering, and computing at NTU Athens, with emphasis on theory. They are looking for a compact and fast update on various topics including Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalism, Lorentz and Poincare groups, functional derivatives and integrals, Green's functions, path integrals, and group theory in field theories. They are also looking for books with problems on QFT, statistical physics, particle physics, and group theory. They are willing to compile a list of essential topics for theoretical physics not
christodouloum
Hello. I am enrolled for this year in the theoretical physics master offered by ecole normal superieure in paris. It is an enormous task to pull off and so I need (and beg) some advise to speed up my progress from the most knowledgeable of the lot. So I completed a five year course in mathematics, physics, engineering and computing (in NTU Athens, mainly the first two fields of course), emphasis in theory (last year had primer courses in groups, rel QM, field theories, gen rel, langrangian mech).

{Important: I appreciate anyone willing to help but I really need information suitable for a compact fast update (and refresh) of knowledge for someone taking up a serious master in theoretical physics, the aim is to follow my courses with less trouble, in a couple of weeks time. So please no generic answers like search up Weinberg for fields or read Georgi for some help with Lie in particles.}

Right, ok and I have to really get up to date fast with these topics (the teachers are not taking all of them for granted but they are not exactly taking their time with them) :

-Hamiltonian, Langrangian formalism. Going fast past classical mechanics-quantum mechanics and taking up field theories, with some insight if possible (consise, compact intermediate to advanced level)

-Lorentz, Poincare groups, spinor representations . Not the full machinery of spinors, what is required of a first course (serious one) in field theory (eg Peskin-Schroeder level). I want the important results and theorems (important represantations, homomorphisms etc)

-An sos crash course (tutorial one would say) on functional derivatives, integrals (also invloving diagonalising matrices of functions etc)

-Green's functions (and solving differential equations with them)

-path integrals

No time for a full functional analysis course although I wish I had already taken one...

I am looking for lecture notes, or seminar notes or even books(although that is easy to find but I don't have time to study a let's say 500 pages book on functional analysis) if they are fast moving and give me some essential tools to get going. I am not interested in mathematical rigor at this point since solving,solving,solving is the idea for the next 3-4 months and not much time for in depth insight (I am sure some of you get the point)

I am also looking for books with problems (including at least some solved ones) in any of this topics
-QFT
-Statistical physics in FT
-Particle physics (standard model and beyond including supersymmetry)
-Group theory in field theories

I am asking a lot I know, and probably a lot of people have dug themselves out by slowly collecting this information, but any help wil be much appreciated and I am planning to make a list of all this essential topics for theory usually not mastered by someone after a first degree (yes five years was my first degree, put a lot of experimental work there )

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a tip, it doesn't matter how much time it took you to graduate, and from the topics youv'e covered I will also say it's quite normal to graduate within 5 years, it's all about the knowledge youv'e gained and genuinely understood, if it takes more time then be it.

As for textbooks on QFT and advanced QM, I use the two classic textbooks by Bjorken and Drell, and I also have two textbooks for solved exercises, one by atkinson:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1589490312/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and another textbook by michel maggiore.

Good Luck!
and don't be nervous.

What are the top recommended books for a Theoretical Physics Master's course?

Some of the top recommended books for a Theoretical Physics Master's course include "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael Peskin and Daniel Schroeder, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, "Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, and "Theoretical Physics" by Georg Joos and Ira Freeman.

Are there any books specifically geared towards beginners in Theoretical Physics?

Yes, there are several books that are designed for beginners in Theoretical Physics. Some examples include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics" by John S. Townsend.

Is it necessary to purchase all of the recommended books for the course?

No, it is not necessary to purchase all of the recommended books for the course. Some textbooks may cover similar material, so it is important to check with your professor to see which books are required and which are optional. Additionally, many university libraries have copies of these textbooks available for students to borrow.

Are there any online resources that can supplement the recommended textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement the recommended textbooks. Some examples include lecture notes and videos from universities, online forums and discussion boards, and educational websites such as Khan Academy or Coursera. These resources can provide additional explanations and practice problems to enhance your understanding of the material.

Are there any books that cover more specialized topics in Theoretical Physics?

Yes, there are books that cover more specialized topics in Theoretical Physics, such as "Introduction to General Relativity" by John D. Norton, "Supersymmetry and String Theory" by Michael Dine, "Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics" by Robert M. Wald, and "An Introduction to Gauge Theories and Modern Particle Physics" by Elliot Leader and Enrico Predazzi. These books may be useful for students interested in pursuing research in specific areas of Theoretical Physics.